Which Fishfinder?

Robofish

Raiders,

I am in the market for a new Fishfinder and have around $1000 to spend. I have already got a combo which I want to use as a dedicated chartplotter. I fish mainly in shore but do on occasion go off to the 12 or Browns. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Dave

Hi, for a $1K the best bang for your buck is the new Lowrance Elite-7 HDI and it comes with chart in the price too. The Dragonfly is a very good unit too but if you want to spend all your budget the larger screen on the Lowrance is what I would get. The hardest thing about electronics is their will always be something better for a few hundred more so set you budget and stick with it and for $1K the Lowrance is the pick at moment, but may change in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Craig.

On paper the resolution specs are the same for HDS and Elite, but just cant help to think the HDS looks better. Is it just my perception after owning an HDS?

Also will the slower processor affect sonar capability vs HDS?

Im torn between HDS 7 and Elite an if its better to get the HDS and save for maps later?

HDS 7 unit is on special for 1099!

Cheers

Hi, if you can buy a HDS-7 Gen2 for $1,099 with transducer and everything that is needed then that is below cost so either they have made a mistake or you will not get everything. The Simrad NSS-7 bunble pack is a better unit, is better value and comes with everything needed including chart to make a mapping unit useable.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, that is still too cheap and if you can buy it for that then buy it because they have either made a mistake as mentioned or something does not add up and it may not include GST, bracket, power lead or something. That is still below CP for such a unit and not much use to you as a just a head unit and I stand by what I said earlier, the best 7 inch screen going around at present is the Simrad NSS-7 and comes with EVERYTHING needed including a deep water transducer, Go free, bracket, power lead and chart, that without one no mapping unit is much use. All this plus the Simrad NSS range is a level up on the HDS range in terms of on water ability.

Just to confuse you some more the new Raymarine A77 should be thrown into the mix if the budget goes beyond $1K but being only touch that can have its disadvantages.

Cheers,

Huey.

Done. Tasksta, you must have a block on PMs, because the pricing for the two units has returned to me. Give me a call if you are interested in upgrading your electronics.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

• 3 months later...

Hi, which fishfinder is best comes down to budget so indicate what you want to spend and I will tell you what I think is the best at todays prices-because as I said earlier almost monthly, with specials manufacturers have, that can change.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, $650 will get you the Elite-5 combo with DSI and that is worth every cent and being a combo, no problem using as just a fishfinder but the ability to get mapping too is worth it. If you can find $200 more the Dragonfly is a great little unit and then again for a little more the Elite-7 is worth the extra coin. As with anything boating there will be something better up the price scale and you alone are the only way that knows if it is worth the extra.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi all, I didn't want to start a new thread and I need your help.

I would ideally love to get the Elite 5 HDI but I just wonder if I'm spending the money for features that I don't need or would those features be a real benefit to me?

I'll only be fishing in enclosed waters.

Also I saw a website Koala GPS and their prices are much cheaper than other stores I've looked at, are these guys legit?

Hey mate, take your boat out a couple of times. During day of course and get used to the environment. See how you find ykur way around. Where abouts will you normally fish? Hawkesbury can get really confusing at first but i know it like the back of my hand now. You might not need a gps with the type of boating you need but only you will know. I have a good sense of direction. If you plan on exploring many inlets etc, then maybe get one. Either way you cant go wrong with a lowrance.

Even when you fish in enclosed waters, it's worth to have a GPS, keep in mind when you are on the water , you can't see how Far you drift in 10-20min example. and when you find a spot you just hit man-overboard .and you can go to the spot again .I used to have a lowrance combo I was very happy with it. I would say that was a few years ago. If I was you have a talk to Huey on the phone tell him what you want to use . and he will definitely show the best for your Budget Her knows his Stuff..

PS: The Biggest fallacy is when you get these Beaut GPS/Fish finder Units we don't learn the units capabilities and what it can do. yes we do get the instruction but if there any Classes hands on how to use and find your way around with these Units. .please let me know PM me!

Cheers. Oziodin :fisher:

My advice is to get the elite 5 as you will absolutley use the GPS for waypoints, trails, drifting, marking spot x etc.

If the elite 5 comes with maps you should snap it up.

Recently upgraded my aounder and worth every cent it as it has transformed my fishing.

Hope this helps.

I have a hds7 in the boat and just added a dragon fly system

the dragonfly is a very good unit but ive only used it out to 120m and don't normally fish deeper, if I troll I only have it show the top 100m anyway looking for bait schools

I run hds7 half screen gps other half speed and fuel use and leave the dragon fly on its downscan setting.

best unit ive ever bought for clarity of screen what it shows and ease of use

saving up to dump it all and put ahigher end raymarine unit wth chirp in

sorry will say the gps function is not as good as lowrances even with the same map installed

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. I wondering buy Fishfinder/chartplotter combo. Under 1000au$ (i Buy from Finland). I get tip for Raymarine dragonfly, it cost here ~920au$ discount. (should be cheeper buy from site sponsor in OZ and pay tax and fees in Finland :insane: )

I need only regular chart plotter, but fishfinder i need freshwater, and vertical jigging, shallow water. Water deep is usually 1m to 25m. Vertical jigging with fishfinder is quite new thing in Finland, its came here 5-6 years a go. So i appreciate your opinnions, becouse i quess that you have longer experions there about this fishing style..

So, need regular plotter, and fishfinder what help me see fishs, and bottom+seeweed on SLOW speed.

Jani