Formosan

I expect there will be a hairtail 3 report soon. :)

As per Quintrex480's post, We went hairtailing on a 3 boat convoy in Cowan Creek.

Was good to meet a few legends of this forum face to face for the very first time, ie. Chris and Groper.

To cut a long story short, Unweighted rig with glow stick on yakka fillets.

Burley with pilly cube and the hairtails appear on the sounder. That's the technique.

By all accounts everyone got more than they can count on 1 hand.

Now a technique for catching groper on Sabiki Jig is to use Sausage and bread. :074:

post-7044-0-78970600-1376679686_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-76711400-1376679698_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-45709600-1376679707_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-46793300-1376679751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Formosan

Was a great fishing adventure with great fun all round :sun:

Can still see gropers face with hook and line in his mouth,me voicing whats that line doing in your mouth :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Didn't leave till basil hooked on early hours of the morning :)

Chris.

Dont start, you were dancing and jumping like a little girl when you dropped the hairtail in the boat, I had to pick it up and slap you with it :risata: :risata: :risata:

Nice haul. If you guys have a spare spot next time i would love to join you!

Thanks.Will keep you in mind.

excellent catch :)

Thanks Col, Come join us next time. :)

Good stuff, that second hairtail looks like a beast.

Cheers.. That one took the lightest rod with 6lb line and 8 lb leader.. pulled heaps of drag for a moment I thought it was a Jew.

good eating?

Yeh ,General consensus they are good eating, nice soft meat..similar to deep water fish like Gemfish. I'd take these over breams anyday.

Sounds like a great night. Good job boys.

Thanks Pete. Good luck on the reds if you are heading out Sunday.

Such a weird looking fish! Looks like a chrome belt!

What do they fight like?

Or a 80's car bumper bar!. Generally we cast out 5-8 metres line and the line sinks vertical below the boat so the fight is short and unless you get the big ones and it takes some drag.

Was a great fishing adventure with great fun all round :sun:

Can still see gropers face with hook and line in his mouth,me voicing whats that line doing in your mouth :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Didn't leave till basil hooked on early hours of the morning :)

Chris.

yep was a good night. How about the groper by catch?

great work buddy, good to see you getting your deckies onto them as well as you always do!

Cheers.. You always do great .. when you are the Lone ranger. :)

Well done ... mate .

Thanks Felix,

Have you been chasing them this year?

Nice work. They look like great fun to catch.

How long do they hang around for at this time of year ?

Thanks..It is a very relaxing way to fish. They should hang around for a month or so yet. My mate have caught them as late as November,

I expect there will be a hairtail 3 report soon. :)

As per Quintrex480's post, We went hairtailing on a 3 boat convoy in Cowan Creek.

Was good to meet a few legends of this forum face to face for the very first time, ie. Chris and Groper.

To cut a long story short, Unweighted rig with glow stick on yakka fillets.

Burley with pilly cube and the hairtails appear on the sounder. That's the technique.

By all accounts everyone got more than they can count on 1 hand.

Now a technique for catching groper on Sabiki Jig is to use Sausage and bread. :074:

what I learned on this trip is to keep changing the glow sticks, a glow stick thats lost a bit of glow will not get any bites, the glow sticks Chris had was so strong and they were the only rods getting touched no matter what bait we used on the other rods.

Hey Bas..

yep same story started with 2 rods with the bright glows.

those two rods did well then one of those glow died ..then only one rod getting hit

chris went and visit master Tans tackle shop and grab them secretive weapon before he met you. :)