Beach Burley!

Belligero

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes for burley?

I'm looking to make something strong that will stick together as I intend to use an old catchit ball thrower to launch the berley from the beach rather then having it all over myself / washing back up on the beach!

Thinking of flour+water to give it that strong texture with old pillies & squid?

Obviously I don't want to feed the fish so I would only be throwing in small amounts!

omag_olist_0861-250x250.jpg

Hi Mate,

You may have a dog run into the water and return it back to you if you use that thing LOL.

When im fishing the beach, i use a mixture of bread, pilchard, tuna oil and sawdust or crumbs. mix it together and freeze little balls of it. Then you simply bury it under some shallow sand where the water can just reach. As the tide comes in, small peices will naturally wash out. Its a set and forget method and works really well for me. Also there is no mess.

I hope this helps mate,

Cheers.

I always berley when beach fishing, but I use an onion bag tied to a sand peg (or rod holder) that just gets reached by the larger waves so there is a trickle of berley every couple of minutes.

Using the onion bag method has been fairly well proven for me when I've been out with groups of guys, the ones fishing closer to the bag have almost always caught more fish.

In my opinion if you throw it in in clumps you're probably berleying the fish 200 meters up the coast by the time it breaks down and get down to where the fish are (unless you're after salmon on the surface etc)

Cheers

Linc

I have two points. The first is, anfortunately, the dog ball thrower doesnt work that well. I went looking for something to lob burley with, and purchased one last season. I then proudly went to though my first scoopful of bread and pillies, and ended up wearing half of it. If its a dense, wet, gluggy mix (which most berly is) then it gets stuck in the scoop, and ends up on a deffinite downwards tragectory. As a quick fix, I grabbed a knife and cut the lip down, and that seemed to help a lot. I have since bought a $2.... well to be honest, i dont know what utensile it is? its like an oversized spoon with holes in it? For removing pasta from water and stuff... I think (i dont cook much) But anyway, the giant spoon is MUCH better, and i have it bolted to a 800mm peice of broom handle for extra range. I would suggest this as the way to go.

my general mix is bread and tuna oil thrown in the blender with all my old bait.. so pillies, prawns or squid are usually in the mix in some amounts. Little bit of flour goes alright as well when you're trying to thicken it or get it to stick together to throw. Guess it's pretty generic, but that's my 'recipe', although I've never tried it out on the beaches. Sometimes when I'm lazy I buy premixed bags as well, they usually produce alright, especially when you mix in your own stuff.

Saw some asian blokes the other morning throwing in scoops out of tins of catfood too, don't know how they went though cause I had to leave the coast to head back to uni haha, but they looked like they knew what they were doing. Could be worth experimenting with.

You can buy burley scoops at the campsie tackle store. Perfect for throwing out burley in any kind of system. Comes in different lengths and sizes, it relly lets you peg those burley bombs out as close or far as you want, as long as the consistency is right.