carp are back on

PRED-ATOR

Hi Stan, I've been working on my (lack of) presentation with a fly rod as well. I have been making leaders and tippets from different weight monos (Fly line,25lb, 20lb, 15lb, fly) in 3 sections which does alright for saltwater casting heavy or sinking flies. But freshwater requires much more finnese and lighter lines (10lb, 8lb, 6lb, fly). I've never used a store bought tippet or tapered leader before, If you don't mind me asking, what leaders/tippets (size/brand) have you changed too? Did you notice a difference?

Thanks!

Thanks Fella's

Yep they are great fun on 4LB gear.

SMn - I purchased them from my local tackle store, when i get home tonight ill check the brand. They come in a pack of 2, sunline also make the tapered leaders.

The one I was using was that olive colour and i used a tapered 4lb. It is very very thin and it did present better because there no sinking line in front of the fly. I am absolutely no expert but i found that not aiming the rod at the water when i let go of the cast made the presentation more subtle. Instead, I let the fly go when the rod was facing the sky and the line fell in a much better line and the fly presented much better.

Mate, I hope this helps. I will check the brand again tonight, im pretty sure the brand was 'todd'.

Cheers,

Thanks Fella's

Yep they are great fun on 4LB gear.

SMn - I purchased them from my local tackle store, when i get home tonight ill check the brand. They come in a pack of 2, sunline also make the tapered leaders.

The one I was using was that olive colour and i used a tapered 4lb. It is very very thin and it did present better because there no sinking line in front of the fly. I am absolutely no expert but i found that not aiming the rod at the water when i let go of the cast made the presentation more subtle. Instead, I let the fly go when the rod was facing the sky and the line fell in a much better line and the fly presented much better.

Mate, I hope this helps. I will check the brand again tonight, im pretty sure the brand was 'todd'.

Cheers,

Cheers mate! Much appreciated! I'll check the leaders and tippets (sunline and Todd) out at my local tackle shop, glad to hear they make a difference, as I reckon the line slap I get sometimes would scare a whale away!!! Thanks for the casting tip I have noticed that a raised rod tip does present the fly better, but I'm still to inconsistant in my action to really tell. Hope you bag a big one!