Landbased Saturday

paggles

Hi Raiders

Im a long time reader and this is my first post......... :thumbup: a HUGE thanks to whoever made this site......best site ever :1clap:

Im going for a shore shag this saturday in sydney somewhere (if the beer doesnt bite :beersmile: ) and was wondering if there is a better place to fish than clifton gardens........? Im only a begginer really but I have got the fishing bug BADLY and i love it :yahoo:

Any help would be great and i look forward to joining you guys at the socials when my mate gets his boat in november................... :1naughty:

Paggles

:1fishing1:

:1welcomeani: paggles.

Pretty lean shorebased at the moment. The guys fishing Iron Cove have been having some success. Now that you've signed up you can search for their reports. Anywhere that there is flats with weeds that you can cast to should turn up some flatties and may also yield some bream.

61705[/snapback]

thanx dave

I might have a throw around iron cove bridge around lunchtime then im going to the gardens for the many blackfish (that i thought were bream) swimming around the weeds on the bottom.....is there a bait shop close to the gardens that sells weed (not the happy weed) and how much does it usually sell for.......?

G'day paggles,

You can't buy weed for blackfish, u got to collect it. Two types: 1 is sea lettuce and looks like mini lettuces. The other is stringy type weed and grows as fine strands. Both are found on rock shelves in the tidal zone (bit between high and low tide). Some places it's found are Ben Buckler at North Bondi, Clovelly. On the north side Im not sure.

If you can't be arsed get some fresh bread and stick it on a no. 8 or 10 blackfish hook and berley with bread soaked in water.

Paul

:1welcomeani: Paggles.

When fishing off a wharf (or anywhere for that matter) I always take a light rod with bait jig and a heavy outfit. Jig yourself a couple of livies. Yellowtail, Gar, Mullet, anything with scales . . . . make sure it's legal of course will do and send it down. Loosen the drag, secure the rod, crack open a beer and do whatever it is you want to do.

You'd be surprised how often there's a marauding greenback Tailor, big hungry Flattie, King or Sambo thatr can't pass up a wriggling baitfish!

Try this for the next few sessions and you won't be disappointed.

Got to agree with Iain here. That is how I used to do most of my fishing when I started. Catch little yackas and hardy heads and send em out as live bait caught lots of decent flathead and a few small jew when a youngster.

Take a small bucket to keep your live bait in remember to change the water occasionally. Once you have some live bait and have sent one out re rig your light gear and chuck som SP's arround for fun.

Good luck

Cheers

Trev

G'day Paggles,

I reckon Clifton Gardens would be a sure bet for a few tasty leather jackets this weekend.

Small long shank hook, pencil float and split shot and some prawn meat and you should easily get yourself a feed.

Good luck

Byron

i caught 1 fantail leather jacket last weekend......it had the fight of a wet sock :thumbdown: but was very tasty....

A big thankyou for everyones advice...ill try it all out on sat :biggrin2: and post a report on how many big kingies and jewies i catch a few days later :risata:

peace

pags

Well what a disaster that was......... :thumbdown:

I arrived at thornleigh bait and tackle to pick up some weed at about 1pm only to find out that it came in 1 type......the bloody frozen type :badair: I got some anyway and headed of for the gardens....arrived there at about 3pm thinking i had about 2 hours of blackfishing but soon remembered i had some weed to unthor which took about 30 minutes :thumbdown: when it was finally defrosted it looked more like old soggy lettuce than the weed id seen before :badair: .......ok finally everything was go and in the 30 or so minutes it took to set up some bloke next to me pulled in 2 blackies so everything was looking good.......... :tease: wasnt i wrong.....I ended up catching nadda, zip, squat, sweet f@$%all but an ugly spikey stinky puffa fish..... :ranting2:

All in all a bad day for fishing but a great day of relaxation.....

Peace

Pags

Lotta guys catching zip at the moment paggles, Spring is on the way and I'm sure the fishing will improve over the coming weeks.

:1welcomeani: to the site, I'm taking my daughter fishing next weekend so you'll probably be reading a report about the fish she caught and the ones I didn't :wacko:

Lotta guys catching zip at the moment paggles, Spring is on the way and I'm sure the fishing will improve over the coming weeks.

:1welcomeani: to the site, I'm taking my daughter fishing next weekend so you'll probably be reading a report about the fish she caught and the ones I didn't :wacko:

62272[/snapback]

:risata: good luck you 2