ratchet jockey wheel

fredflathead

I have looked at the forum about ratchet jockey wheels.

I have a couple of questions, I drive in with the car and boat attached on a level drive unhook boat and push the boat back and around to fit in the front yard. The problem is when I need the boat back out it is hard to drag and hook onto the tow bar as it is on socera pebbles which is a flat surface. The flat surface is pavers.

1. If I put a piece of old ply on the ground and the wheel onto it, I think it would travel ok.

2. How much weight do you need on the jockey wheel for it to run ok.

3. Can you steer the jockey wheel as it goes in reverse.

I normally put a small piece of rope onto the front coupling and pull it around with the car but have no control over it when it comes clear of the socera pebbles and it bangs slightly into the back of the car.

Not looking for it to be fast just that I can control it, it only has to move about 10ft and then I can couple up to the car.

A motorised one is too expensive.

thanks norm

post-17426-0-02469600-1378589152_thumb.jpg

1. If I put a piece of old ply on the ground and the wheel onto it, I think it would travel ok.

2. How much weight do you need on the jockey wheel for it to run ok.

3. Can you steer the jockey wheel as it goes in reverse.

I had a ratchet jockey wheel on an 18 ft Caravan many years ago. Worked a treat.

1. The ply board will work but make sure that it is stiff enough. Formwork ply is ideal, you may be able to get a cut sheet from a bin on a building site.

2. The normal weight that your coupling is loaded with for safe towing is fine. Any doubts, go to a 4WD service centre and ask them to check the weight on the ball with your boat normally loaded when travelling.

3. Yes, at least mine did but check the instructions.

To prevent damage to your car you may find it helpful to install a guide under your tow ball. That consists of a galvanised steel V piece that guides the coupling into the correct position to lower onto the ball. The Guide is removable, just lifts off a bracket installed under the ball.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Paikea