Jewies

krause

Hi all,

I have of late, taken off on a venture to chase new species I havent yet caught. These have included groper, drummer and luderick. Ive had mixed results with that collection. But there is one fish I have never caught, or really tried to.... That being the mulloway!?!?!? I tend to fish the rocks, hence have little chance of a by-catch. Hence im wondering where to start? Ive looked at recent posts, but most are for where to fish, not how. Hence I say, I have a fishing rod, what do i do now??????

Having never looked into jewie fishing, I have no idea what im doing. Hence if anyone could provide some instructions, I would be most appricative. I am sydney based, with no boat. Im happy to travel around, but would probably prefer to try for jews in an estury before the surf, but suggestions for either are cool! In an estury, where do I start, deep water or shallowish? what bait? pillcard? fillet baits? live baits? what rigs and terminal tackle? floats or bottom rigs? tides? night or day? Any and all help would be awesome! Give it to me like a simpleton!!!! And if any one is willing to hand over there local spot, even in a PM, that would be awesome! But rough areas will be fine, I know that it isnt allways fun to give up your spot!

So yer, any and all info is awesome!!!!!!!

Cheers boys

There's a jewie thread here (http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=36153) that is imo the best repository of information and experiences of fellow raiders which might be worth a look. I've only got a few jewies (but only on bait) and some others might have better info but I'd say pick a known jew spot (any place you KNOW has produced) and stick with it. Imo, beaches are a good place to start if you are not certain of the holes/structure of the any particular estuary. Learn to get fresh bait, especially squid which is the gun bait. Fish the tide changes and you will get that jew!

There's a jewie thread here (http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=36153) that is imo the best repository of information and experiences of fellow raiders which might be worth a look. I've only got a few jewies (but only on bait) and some others might have better info but I'd say pick a known jew spot (any place you KNOW has produced) and stick with it. Imo, beaches are a good place to start if you are not certain of the holes/structure of the any particular estuary. Learn to get fresh bait, especially squid which is the gun bait. Fish the tide changes and you will get that jew!

+1 very informative thread

there are plenty of wharfs in sydney harbour and parramata river such as abbotsford wharf, kissing point wharf etc that people have caught jewies,

fresh bait will nearly always beat frozen/old bait

cheers

Edited by sam bros

Good quote, just forgot to comment. Ok, second attempt!!! Awesome thread. But I am starting to notice a trend. The fishing spot is important, so if possible, can anyone point me towards a possible spot, or river even? Lane cove, georges river? Idunno really....?

Cheers

There's so much info on here dude, use the search function. You'll see the same themes come-up over and over (e.g. fresh or live bait), take note of these themes and put them into practice.

Pick one of the 50 odd spots that people mention, actually go there and persist, night after night, day after day, you'll get a feel for how things work and when you crack a pattern you'll be like a giddy goose all hopped-up on the good stuff. And everyone will enjoy reading your report.

No one gives away all their jew secrets too easy, and besides, when you figure it out yourself it's infinitely more rewarding.

There's so much info on here dude, use the search function. You'll see the same themes come-up over and over (e.g. fresh or live bait), take note of these themes and put them into practice.

Pick one of the 50 odd spots that people mention, actually go there and persist, night after night, day after day, you'll get a feel for how things work and when you crack a pattern you'll be like a giddy goose all hopped-up on the good stuff. And everyone will enjoy reading your report.

No one gives away all their jew secrets too easy, and besides, when you figure it out yourself it's infinitely more rewarding.

Cheers. I cant stress enough that im not looking to steel the secret and spots of people, I am truely looking for a simple foot hold. A bait and a rough area to fish. Just so I dont rock up to a sand flat near bundeena with a handful of random baits. I am looking around, but it is also conveniant to ask everyone. On that note id like to thank all the raiders for sharing an opinion.

Mate learn to catch squid and mullet/herring(esp if fishing upper georges ;) ) and Jews won't befar away.para river would be your best bet have a look on Google maps any points that jut out or were the river narrows.get out there 3-4 days before a full moon fresh squid or yellowtail and the main point don't give up.i have a mate that went two years trying before he got his first now he gets them most outings

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Cheers. I was going to try somewhere in port hacking on the way home from uni, but the georges is also on the princess highway. Might be the go. As a bit of a dumb question, how do you present the baits? It sound dumb, but as much as I look, all I can find is what kind of bait, but very little on presentation. To me as a rock fisherman, a livie is under a float, but are we talking the same here? Or is it free swimming or weighted down. Again, im pretty knew to this so yer. Im going to try for some fresh yakka and slimies down at wollongong and take them with. Thoughts as to whether they would survive the trip? It would be for about an hour in an eskie? If not they will at least be fresh....

Squid are tricky. Ive hunted them before for kings, with no luck. Might try for them as well in wollongong, the harbour wall is ok for them, suposedly?!?!? As for mullet, whats the idea? Will the milk bottle trap work in and around the georges?

Squid are tricky. Ive hunted them before for kings, with no luck. Might try for them as well in wollongong, the harbour wall is ok for them, suposedly?!?!? As for mullet, whats the idea? Will the milk bottle trap work in and around the georges?

Na forget the bottle for mullet just bream and small hooks no float just get them worked uo with bread fling your bread out when it sinks so that you can see it reel in do it again the trick is just put enuff bread on the hook just to cover the point of the hook smaller the better

Na forget the bottle for mullet just bream and small hooks no float just get them worked uo with bread fling your bread out when it sinks so that you can see it reel in do it again the trick is just put enuff bread on the hook just to cover the point of the hook smaller the better

Awesome, cheers for that tip. Having never tried it before im sure itll be fun! Mabey a little swearing and missed strikes at first!