Shimano Baitrunner...

Tony Soprano

Hey guys, what's a reasonable sort of price for the baitrunners in 4500 and 6500 sizes?

I've seen them around the 200-300 mark respectively, is this reasonable?

Also what sort of rod would you recommend to match these reels to?

I'm looking at something with a fair bit of guts at the base, but still a relatively light tip, maybe around the 6'5 mark, and preferably a two piece...

Hey guys, what's a reasonable sort of price for the baitrunners in 4500 and 6500 sizes?

I've seen them around the 200-300 mark respectively, is this reasonable?

Also what sort of rod would you recommend to match these reels to?

I'm looking at something with a fair bit of guts at the base, but still a relatively light tip, maybe around the 6'5 mark, and preferably a two piece...

61812[/snapback]

Tony, If you can still find a Shimano Thunnus BR, Grab it. They are an awsom reel.

I troll and live bait Kings with my 6000f.

They are metal body and solid, I just cant bring myself to buy a graphite body reels sept for the kids.

However they are now discontinued, But there are still some floating about.

Dont worry about parts, The main parts are the same as other current reels.

As for the rod, Have a look at a new post im about to make, Im after the same.

Mick

Tony, If you can still find a Shimano Thunnus BR, Grab it. They are an awsom reel.

Mick

61827[/snapback]

Here Here Mick!

There's no doubting the Baitrunner is good, it's just the Thunnus is even better :thumbup:

That annoying Baitrunner flex is a thing of the past for me since upgrading :yahoo:

Red :1prop:

Here Here Mick!

There's no doubting the Baitrunner is good, it's just the Thunnus is even better  :thumbup:

That annoying Baitrunner flex is a thing of the past for me since upgrading :yahoo: 

Red :1prop:

62039[/snapback]

What did you get Red, A thunnus or the new BR plastic?

Sorry Ive ad a few :beersmile:

Cant understand Why John Dumphy droped the thunnus, Its got the same drag as the Spyros (good) And that real is marketed as a heavy duty sea real.

Ill never buy the latest Shimano BR :1badmood:

Ive never had a 'Good" plastic thredline in any form :thumbdown:

Mick

Just my personal experiance.

Some plastic stuff does suit some and I understand that.

Guest hottuna
What did you get Red,  A thunnus or the new BR plastic?

Sorry Ive ad a few  :beersmile:

Cant understand Why John Dumphy droped the thunnus, Its got the same drag as the Spyros (good) And that real is marketed as a heavy duty sea real.

Ill never buy the latest Shimano BR :1badmood:

Ive never had a 'Good" plastic thredline in any form :thumbdown:

Mick

Just my personal experiance.

Some plastic stuff does suit some and I understand that.

62041[/snapback]

If you look closely you`ll find a number of sydney and h`bury fishing guides use BR with up to 65lb braid and locked up drags, flex is not an issue, in fact in the tackle industry we`ve NEVER had one back that has broken at the foot. You`ll find that even the thunnus flexs as most are designed to do so, with the exception of penn spinfishes there a rock.... Of over 300 BR sold we`ve never ever had one back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the tackle industry bad advise if rif, a pattern of failed products is accepted (10 of more ) but like Mick a one of IS NOT enough to deem a product bad. I now ask you Mick, please explain. Id like to know about the fish YOU lost because of flex?

NONE I BET!!!!!!!!! :074:

DAN

What did you get Red,  A thunnus or the new BR plastic?

62041[/snapback]

G'day Livie,

The Baitrunners i had were sold and replaced with four Thunnus reels........three 12000F's and one 16000F. I'm still sniffing around for another two 16000F's :wacko: Can anyone help here?

Dan, only a brave man would put shit on the mighty Baitrunner. They have been one of Shimano's best, and at the current prices, they are tremendous value :thumbup: . It's just the Thunnus, in my opinion is even better, but it was running at twice the B/R price :ranting2:

Is it twice as good?

That's doubtfull, but like many, i'm well and truly over the Graphite craze.

I was lucky enough to pick mine up for close to Baitrunner prices......how could a born tackle junkie pass that up? :1wallbash::1wallbash::1wallbash:

Metal reels all the way :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Guest hottuna

G'day Livie,

The Baitrunners i had were sold and replaced with four Thunnus reels........three 12000F's and one 16000F. I'm still sniffing around for another two 16000F's :wacko: Can anyone help here?

Dan, only a brave man would put shit on the mighty Baitrunner. They have been one of Shimano's best, and at the current prices, they are tremendous value :thumbup: . It's just the Thunnus, in my opinion is even better, but it was running at twice the B/R price :ranting2:

Is it twice as good?

That's doubtfull, but like many, i'm well and truly over the Graphite craze.

I was lucky enough to pick mine up for close to Baitrunner prices......how could a born tackle junkie pass that up? :1wallbash::1wallbash::1wallbash:

Metal reels all the way :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Red i agree, hard bodies all the way, but the so call plastic still has merrit. The BR are heavy enough as it is....

dan

Sure Dan,

Someone with a budget of 200 odd bucks, could do a lot worse than buying the mighty Baitrunner.

However, if the Bait runner function was not really required, i'd steer people towards the bigger Spheros. Very good reel for it's price :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

If you look closely you`ll find a number of sydney and h`bury fishing guides use BR with up to 65lb braid and locked up drags, flex is not an issue, in fact in the tackle industry we`ve NEVER had one back that has broken at the foot. You`ll find that even the thunnus flexs as most are designed to do so, with the exception of  penn spinfishes there a rock.... Of over 300 BR sold we`ve never ever had one back!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

In the tackle industry bad advise if rif, a pattern of failed products is accepted  (10 of more ) but like Mick a one of IS NOT enough to deem a product bad. I now ask you Mick, please explain. Id like to know about the fish YOU lost because of flex?

NONE I BET!!!!!!!!!  :074:

DAN

62046[/snapback]

Dan

Im not putting shit on the current plastic BR, Its ok.

But the replaced Thunnus was better, And MY advice was to try and find one still on the shelf, Thats not bad advice and I do take offence(but Ill forget about it tommorro) at your insinuation.

Ive had dozens of plasic reels over the last 30 years, Some were ok, But there are none that id rave on about.

The pros use them because there a reasonable reel for there clients to use and abuse and they are cheap.

You cannot tell me that plastic gear is better than metal.

Its not so much "lost fish" that is plastics problem, Its , Over time in the sun and with short use, Bad drag, Rough gears, Into the garbage bin.

Now I ask you, Why is the bottom line Shimano made of plastic and the top of the line made of metal?

Mick

Guest hottuna

Sorry mate didn`t mean to offend

Now I ask you, Why is the bottom line Shimano made of plastic and the top of the line made of metal?

My guess it because plastics cheaper, therefore less $$$ for the purchaser.

Alot of reels now being released are (spl?) aluminite , alloy/graphite. Go figure, i guess time will tell

dan