Getting the hang of SP's (jewfish)

Scratchie

Hi all,

Just a quick report. I've been doing a bit of sp fishing of late and been somewhat successful. The key is definitely patience and persistence. Today I tick off another first with a nice little jewy! I was using a 7inch something with 1/2 jig but only using 6lb line. Think the set up was overkill for 6lb but it worked a treat. Got smoked twice and lost a couple of SP's but the one I got was a great fight and I was pretty excited.

post-24974-0-12875000-1378958162_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-75697400-1378958198_thumb.jpg

Cheers scratchie!!!

Jeff, I can imagine the excitement over a fantastic catch like that - I'm getting exciting being all the way here! Jew on SP is something special and not everyone has ticked that box (including me!). You've learnt fast and earned your stripes in a spectacular fashion. Maybe instead of getting tips from me, I should be asking you haha! Fantastic work and on 6lb too. Now you've cracked the code, there may be a few big 'meterys' out there waiting for you!

Pete

Jeff, I can imagine the excitement over a fantastic catch like that - I'm getting exciting being all the way here! Jew on SP is something special and not everyone has ticked that box (including me!). You've learnt fast and earned your stripes in a spectacular fashion. Maybe instead of getting tips from me, I should be asking you haha! Fantastic work and on 6lb too. Now you've cracked the code, there may be a few big 'meterys' out there waiting for you!

Pete

Thanks Pete. It was a big thrill. Wouldn't say I cracked the code but I understand the strike zone from bait fishing. However, after reading many posts (especially yours) I now work the sp much better and understand that the pause is important to stay in that zone!

Good stuff mate the ones you lost would have been alot bigger 6lb is perfect for that class of fish :D

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Certainly was bigger the one that smoked me. The reel sounded like a rotary engine until it popped. Love that sound!

Awesome fish scratchie!

Safe to say your getting the hang of SP's im yet to crack one on a lure.

Well done again mate,

Stan

Thanks Stan, I have the advantage of a boat and a good spot for Jew! I'll be happy when I beat my record on an SP but not a bad start.

Jeffro!!! I love your work sunshine! The softies are awesome I think, just as good as bait if not better in certain situations. Even though they don't smell like their food they definitely get fish's attention with the right retrieves. You are catching on quicker than most when they start plastic fishing. You should be proud dude.

Jeffro!!! I love your work sunshine! The softies are awesome I think, just as good as bait if not better in certain situations. Even though they don't smell like their food they definitely get fish's attention with the right retrieves. You are catching on quicker than most when they start plastic fishing. You should be proud dude.

Thanks luc, not bad ay! I still use the knot you taught me for trout fishing. Seems to work pretty well, so I'm sticking with it! :)

man, i need to get out there. SP have never been my thing but i think i should start giving them a go

Mine either. I'm a big bait fisho. But times evolve and SP's are all the rage. I really don't care what I'm using as long as I'm getting a line wet!

What sort of retrieve do u use for the sp thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

From what I've learnt so far, the retrieve is not as important as keeping it in the strike zone. Basically work the sp where you would keep your bait. A single lift, pause and retrieve is fine. Maybe a double flick, pause, single flick. You need to be able to feel the sp. hope that helps. I've only just started!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice one, I recently got my first jew on a lure, one about forty centermeters on a small vibe, problem is now I want bigger. Do you guys recon plastics work in deep dirty water.

Hey mate, from what I've learnt yes they will. Just match the jig head with the lure. And try find the color they want on that day!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch man I been going through the reports on this site and have noticed your new found techniques n equipment. I can only say two things buddy. Im jealous n love ya work. Spotie

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk