Another crack at the Tuna

Dfishin

After fishing off sydney 2 weeks ago and catching some small YFT and getting smoked on one big fish I had been hanging to give them another crack. Looking at the water I decided to go out bit further south off shellharbour.

Ran out to our starting point in terrible conditions this morning and dropped the lures. Stripies kept us busy from the start. Got a big run on the 15kg gear with a small pre rigged skirted lure which was catching most of the stripies first off. This fish definitly not a stripy. my bad luck kicked in and pop its off. Lures still running and the rod beside me goes off. We get a decent YFT to the side of the boat and just before we grab the leader the hooks let go. So i wind the one that got busted off in and the pre rigged skirt leader connection to the hook let go.

We kept at it in the same area for more stripies and finally land one more very small YFT and called it a day at 1:30

This Tuna fishing is seriously doing my head in. I think if i lose another good fish before landing one i will jump over board and let the sea take me.

Dave

post-17313-0-16878500-1379240545_thumb.jpg

Well done Dave im sure you will catch a bigger one soon. For the boats that got out off Sydney yesterday a few managed to find yellowfin from jellybeans to 60kg fish & still the odd marlin seen.

We have never had a pre rigged from the states Black Bart let go but yes we definitely do check them anyway! Good luck next time!

Cheers

Damo

Nice work Dave well done. Can see the rolling swell behind you in the photo!

how far offshore did you trek to find the YFT?

After fishing off sydney 2 weeks ago and catching some small YFT and getting smoked on one big fish I had been hanging to give them another crack. Looking at the water I decided to go out bit further south off shellharbour.

Ran out to our starting point in terrible conditions this morning and dropped the lures. Stripies kept us busy from the start. Got a big run on the 15kg gear with a small pre rigged skirted lure which was catching most of the stripies first off. This fish definitly not a stripy. my bad luck kicked in and pop its off. Lures still running and the rod beside me goes off. We get a decent YFT to the side of the boat and just before we grab the leader the hooks let go. So i wind the one that got busted off in and the pre rigged skirt leader connection to the hook let go.

We kept at it in the same area for more stripies and finally land one more very small YFT and called it a day at 1:30

This Tuna fishing is seriously doing my head in. I think if i lose another good fish before landing one i will jump over board and let the sea take me.

Dave

attachicon.gifP9150892.JPG

Nice work Dave well done. Can see the rolling swell behind you in the photo!

how far offshore did you trek to find the YFT?

HaHa. It was calm by the time that photo was taken. offshore I think about 45 km maybe a bit more at widest point we went to. We did 140km for the day. and worked between 250-700 fathom.

• 2 weeks later...