Shore Jigging - Japanese style

Kooks

Anyone into or know much about shore jigging? There is a bit on the internet but not a whole lot.
It seems quite popular in japan. The technique works on Bonnies and kings...so I'm keen to try it out.

I came a cross this new Sea Ride lure and I'm literally hooked.

www.youtube.com/embed/ygQPwt7EG4s

If anyone knows where or who stock sea jigging equipment in OZ... PM me. Seems mostly available overseas.

Edited by Kooks

Gday mate.

Yeh i read about this style not long ago in a magazine. Couldnt find anywhere to buy this style in shops here but didnt look too hard. Are you talking about "Maria Shore Tricker" style type jigs?

I found an online store that sold them and heaps of other japanese style micro jigs. First trip out 2 weekends ago some fish came to the surface while i was catching bait, tied one of these on to a light rod and straight away they were catching bonito. Tried jigging them on a snapper ground with no luck while baited lines were catching fish.

Dave

Edited by Dfishin

Micro jigging is slightly different from my understanding. Micro jigging is like standard jigging (in a boat) just with smaller jigs and purpose built rods like the Gomoku Rods.

The shore jigging is all about erratic rod action/jig action followed by free spooling. But there seems to be variation of this from jigging style to more traditional high speed spinning techniques.

I think to get the right action on the lures you need a soft tip on a 9 foot+ rod that can cast out weight of 30gm - 120gm

I haven't tried shore jigging but the rods used I assume are the same as ones like the Daiwa Seajiggers or Shore Jiggers (SJ), both of which I have. As for lures, I think they are very similar to the centre weighted jigs that are currently used offshore rigged with jigging singles. So aside from the length of the rods, tackle is probably the same.

• 9 months later...

Shore jigging jigs are otherwise butterfly jigs there different from knife jigs, daiwa make some, deadly on kings and get smashed by spanyards, although for spanyards you gotta change the location of hook