Where is a video camera when you need one?

iconnolly

Where is a video camera when you need one?

I was fishing in Middle Harbour yesterday with Andy when I had the most ridiculous experience. I'm tempted to post a photo of my grazed stomach as proof but don't want to make you all sick in the stomach.

Andy's rod fell in the water by accident and was sinking slowly. Andy just looks and says "oh no" ! I think "I can reach it, I've done this before". Do the maths: The sides of the boat are about 1/2 a metre above the water, the rod is already half a metre down, I am 1.8 metres tall. Oh yeah and there is a rod holder sticking up about 15cms in the air on the side of the boat where my chest is about to slam into.

Andy saw the whole thing but I'm still not sure quite what happened. Apparently I somersaulted into the water. I retrieved the rod! I was only wet from the waist down except for the arm that lunged into the depths. My hair, sunnies and hat were intact and dry! The phone in my shirt pocket had a slight smear of water on it but is fine. My chest is bruised and grazed but I still can't stop chuckling when I think about it.

Flathead fillets for dinner tonight!!! Yum!!

Reeltired

Edited by reeltired2

Thanks guys

Sorry about the spelling. It should be somersaulted not SUMMERsaulted.

Yeah I think I should get an award too! "Idiot of the year" ?

reeltired

ps I was really tired today actually. Maybe I should change my name to "reelrecovered" or "rodandreelrecovered".

No more dad jokes I promise.

In hindsight would it have been clever to try and wrap the rod on another rods line?

Good on you for your dedication! How did you only get half wet though is a mystery! Remember - Wearing a life jacket never stopped you catching fish!

Next time you have a 'good idea' get a friend to grab his phone quick to record it!

:):):)

I used to work with a bloke who says he reeled in somebody else's lost fishing rod and there was still a huge bream on the end of the line.

I once caught a "lost rod" but it looked like it had been down there for about 10 years.

I have also had a rod go over the side near Bluefish Point. Pretty sure it was a Salmon. I saw the rod bending and a Salmon jump then nothing!! Very frustrating.

Thanks again for the comments and feedback/sympathy etc.

Reeltired

I once caught a rod at wisemans ferry many years ago , it was a small baitcaster outfit and it hant been in the water long either I took it home washed it with fresh water and hit it with a heap of WD40 and it worked perfectly! - sometimes you can be lucky!

very funny story mate I hope the scratches on the gut were worth it.

pete