Got into a few blackies in Forster

arpie

Hi guys

My brother Cam is up & over the last couple of days, we've landed a few blackies from shore (dropped a heap more! :ranting2: ) so today decided to take the yaks out & try near the leases, as you can usually see big blackies hanging around there!!

First fish for the day was a stinky old pike!! It was quite large & I was hoping it was something nicer!!

post-2231-0-24206400-1380022365_thumb.jpg

Headed off to a lease to chase our chosen species - the luderick/blackfish!! First 'down' for the day & the solid blackie dives under the yak & back into the lease under the gate with plastic protection - and my whole setup is now in jeopardy!! The float & all is caught up in this wreck of a gate - with the fish still pulling at the other end!! :mad3: Luckily I had upgraded my yak blackie gear & after 15 mins of trying to extricate the wayward blackie - brute force took over as I just wanted to get back to fishing!! Luckily my 20lb braid outlasted the 10lb 'leaders' - and I only had to replace the hooks!! :banana: I used to fish the leases for blackies with 6lb braid - not anymore!! There are 2kg fish down there!! :harhar:

Not long after, I have a terrific hookup, only to lose it! Nice fish, too. Next hit, I get it!! :sun:

post-2231-0-62820100-1380022693_thumb.jpg

A solid fish that I had to drag away from the fence

post-2231-0-93574100-1380022760_thumb.jpg

Cam was playing with the 'schoolies' whilst I was brawling with the grown-ups!! :074: I changed places a few times, getting good hookups and dropped a few nice ones - plus being busted off by one real beautie! :mad3: I took my life in my hands & put the float down an 'oyster alley' and was rewarded by a definitive 'down' resulting in a missed strike!! And another one! Next one, it 'mauled' and I thought it had busted me off, but my gear was still in tact. Next one DID bust me off!! Grrrr!! :wife: It became a bit of a pattern!! BIG HIT & either dropped or busted!! I'd started with 8 traces & came back with 1!! Nice sized fish!

post-2231-0-07425900-1380022835_thumb.jpg

Cam was getting the lots of smallies & a few 'just legals' then (by accident) landed this one!! It had wrapped him round the post and it was amazing that he could get it out, let alone to the net!!

post-2231-0-14303700-1380023111_thumb.jpg

A fun day was had by both of us & we brought home 4 fish - not a huge haul - but still enough for a meal or two!!

cheerio for now - we may be out again on Thurs!

Roberta

Nice Pics and solid fish.

What bait were you using and did you use any burley?

Since I learnt to properly prepare Blackfish they are now one of my favourite meals. Ditto for Drummer and Taylor, its all in the preparation.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks guys - we are both a bit 'stuffed' still from a long day on the water!! May do it again tomorrow!

...Good stuff 6lb near the leases gotta be crazy.... Yep, I learned that pretty quickly when I first started fishing for them in the yak!!

...those are monster blackies...... I've caught bigger, but would have LOVED to have seen the ones that mauled me & busted me off tho!! There are some REAL WHOPPERS there just now that hide behind the poles of the oyster leases! We ended up taking 4 nice ones home - Cam put a couple of 'just legals' back too, but he landed about 10 fish all up - mainly small ones.

..What bait were you using and did you use any burley?.... We used either weed or cabbage but the weed was getting the better hits. Sometimes they only want the cabbage tho, so you have to take both. No, we didn't use burley - the flow was too fast & would only have taken the fish away from the area. Up here, you can only use burley near the top & bottom of the tide once the flow has lessened to a crawl.

They are one of my favourite eating fish, too! Also favourite 'catching' fish - they give such a good fight & just 'never give up'! Pound for pound, I reckon they fight dirtier than Barramundi!! Can you imagine a 20kg blackfish & the fight it would give?? :074:

cheers

Roberta