Snapper On Sp's

brettoes

going out tomorrow for a snapper bash and was wondering what plastics to use?i take out the usual pillys and slimys and get results but im sick off gettin stinky hands and wifey hates the smell when i get home so im going to take bait for my friend who thinks plastics dont work and ill give sp's a go tommorrow :wife::wife::wife:

any tips would be great and it will make the boss a bit happier

I have a preference for Berkley Bass Minnows in the 4" and the Saltwater Jerkbaits in 5".

I have had success on Chartreuse (see latest report), Smelt Scales, Rainbow, and Bloodworm, but feel that colour is less important than the action you impart on the lure. I have been doing ok by using a slightly more aggressive bream style retrieve of twitch, twitch, twitch with the rod tip followed by letting the lure fall back on the drop as I slowly take up the slack. All fish have hit on the drop.

As for jig heads I have been using Owner Darters, and TT Gamas in 1/4 to 1/2 oz depending on depth and current. The less weight the better in my view as it allows for a more natural drop.

One final point, don't anchor! Just find a nice patch of broken ground (Gravel patches that border reef are superb spots) and simply drift across it casting out ahead of the boat in the direction of the drift. A sea anchor will come in handy if wind is an issue.

I am no expert mate but this is what has been working for me recently.

Good luck and stick at it. A good red on 8lb braid is a real treat!!

Byron

I am not a big SP fan at the moment but I am interested in giving this a go. Obviously the retrieval technique is key and I am happy to trial and error on that.

But a more basic question, do you let the lure sink all the way to the bottom when you first cast? And how deep of water are we talking about here (e.g 10m, 20m , 30m + ).

I can imagine having trouble getting my lure to the bottom with a bit of current running in say 20m of water.

I am not a big SP fan at the moment but I am interested in giving this a go.  Obviously the retrieval technique is key and I am happy to trial and error on that. 

But a more basic question, do you let the lure sink all the way to the bottom when you first cast?  And how deep of water are we talking about here (e.g 10m, 20m , 30m + ).

I can imagine having trouble getting my lure to the bottom with a bit of current running in say 20m of water.

62577[/snapback]

Hey Mark.

I have a pretty good idea of the sink rates of various jig heads when matched to 4" or 5" plastics and try to count the lure down to within a few metres of the bottom. Depending on depth, wind and current this will require a variety of jig head weights to be sure you are getting down there.

So far I have been fishing in depths from 15m to 25m, but am pretty sure that depths up to 40m can be successfully fished so long as the conditions/current allow.

On the retrieve I try to keep the lure down at depth by freespooling if necessary and allowing for a short dropback after each twitch. As mentioned previously, all fish so far have hit on the drop.

I am no expert mate, but these are my thoughts on fishing deeper waters.

Cheers

Byron

Byron, what type of line class is the rod you are using ? Or what kind would you reccommend on a 4000 size reel.....I am looking to start some deeper water jigging say 30-40 metres and was looking at rods with a 4-6 kg line class and with a bit of a stiffer action to allow for heavier jigheads, you think 4-6kg will do with say 10-12 lb fireline ?

Inspin,

The rod you see in the photos is my absolute favourite stick. An Allen Glover custom job built up on a St Croix blank and suiting line classes from 4-6kg. (just ask Ken what he thinks of his St Croix). At 6'6" it is a perfect compromise between light tip and beefy gut section.

To be honest, I reckon you could jump up in rod class to a 6-8kg stick for deep water work, and it would be a better balance with the 4000 size reel. NOTE: I use a 2500 Capricorn on mine which is an ideal match.

The other advantage of going slightly heavier is that your ability to wrestle with kings etc will be improved.

I guess in summary, a 4000 size reel would work at a pinch with 10lb fireline and a 4-6kg stick, but a better balanced outfit would be a slightly heavier rod. Go for a 7 footer to keep a light tip and it would be pretty perfect I think.

Allen Glover might be one to ask.

Cheers

Byron

P.S. Just put my mate Nick onto a Pflueger (PTSP 4770-1MFT SP M 1 2.10m/7'0" 3-6 8 + Tip $199.00 RRP (I am told these are available for less than $120 with a bit of shopping around. Check with Mick at ABA)

Edited by Byron

I like the Berkley Gulp Minnows 3 inch for snapper. They're like the bass minnows but have a lot more scent about them. If you're fishing in fast current or deep water where your traditional jighead doesn't get into the strike zone long enough, try dropshotting with a heavier sinker... It works..

I like the Berkley Gulp Minnows 3 inch for snapper. They're like the bass minnows but have a lot more scent about them. If you're fishing in fast current or deep water where your traditional jighead doesn't get into the strike zone long enough, try dropshotting with a heavier sinker... It works..

62752[/snapback]

Nice work mate!! I will give that a go next time. Sounds like a good way to deal with the current/wind hassles.

I expect that you go through a few Gulps though during a session??

With dropshotting you go through a lot more than if you use a jighead and thats a downside of dropshotting. However, you also get a lot more bites because you're in the strike zone for longer. The way you hook the bass minnow dropshotting is to lip hook the minnow and its prone to fish tearing it out of the hook in a bite frenzy. You might get away with rigging it up like the jighead way on a dropshot, ie. enter the minnow from the centre of the head and through the body so that ore of the hook is inside the minnow. I'll put up with the losses because you can't really put a price tag on FUN!