Sand Went Through Outboard Cooling System

Nolongeramember

I have a 60HP Suzuki four stroke. Recently Ive driven through some shallow areas and sucked up some sand through the cooling system. The water outlets seem to be flowing a little less than usual but there is no over heating.

Should I replace the water pump impeller? Is there any way to back flush or clean the sand out of the whole cooling system without taking the entire engine apart? What else if anything should I be doing?

Thanks...

It's unlikely there is any sand left in the system , it normally just flushes out within a few minuits.

As to the flow , whilst there is no overheating at presant , if the flow appears less than normal it will tend to deteriate over time so suggest the water pump be serviced.

Geoff

I had the same problem with my Yammie 70 two stroke,hit a sand bank and done the impeller. I Replaced it with none Yammie part that only lasted 6 months, so I replaced it again with another none Yammie part that only lasted 6 months again.So I replaced it again but with a genuine Yammie part and two years later and many sand banks later its still going strong.

Moral of the story ....only fit a genuine impeller kit.