Doing the crocodile rock!

adkel53

This morning I had the pleasure of taking my longest standing fishing mate (and the one who is responsible for my addiction!) out to target lizards on Botany Bay. He is visiting Sydney from Nowra for the week. He landed the first fish not too long after we began - a nice eater of 45 cm. I landed another of 48 cm over the next 90 or so minutes. Things were pretty slow so a decision was taken to move to another of my favourite areas. Another 43 to me and a couple of missed hits to Colin were the result as we moved along the relatively shallow shoreline in about 1.2 metres of clear water. I had a solid take, a head shake and a fish that began to swim off to one side quite strongly - always a sign of a reasonable fish. As it turned out, she was a bit more than just reasonable. We got a glimpse of her in the shallow water early in the fight and quickly realised she was a very big fish. I loosened the drag a little and went to work, eventually bringing her to the boat in the shallows near the shore we were rapidly being blown into. Fortunately we had raised the motor because she dived under the boat and swam off towards the (slightly) deeper water again, necessitating thrusting the rod tip into the water and working the line around and under the bow. Eventually she came in again and I guided her carefully into the waiting net.

She went 88cm on the tape measure - a true crocodile. After a few happy snaps and a hand shake between mates she was revived in the water and we watched her power off towards the deeper water.

I often use 10 Berkley Vanish as a leader but today I had opted to use 17lb Vanish. Good decision - the end of the leader was quite frayed and snapped when I put a little pressure on it after her release. I was using 4lb Fireline and a clear-coloured 3" Zmann Minnowz lure on a 1/4 ox TT jighead for those who like to know these things. A 2-4 kg Pflueger rod and Daiwa Caldia 2500 completed the setup.

The next two hours produced only 1 more 45 cm fish and a couple more missed hits in the increasingly windy conditions.

post-4311-0-08363700-1380691900_thumb.jpgpost-4311-0-18834100-1380691932_thumb.jpgA morning to savour. Sharing it with a long-term friend made it just that little bit sweeter!

Tight lines all,

Kel