Botany Ramp

finin

Day off today so decided to throw a lure off the breakwall.

After 2md cast nailed a solid 50 cm tailor amd thought this could be interesting. Nailed another four. Threw em all back and kept going. Moved along the wall and managed a nice 60cm luderick. Looked down the water towards the old ramp and noticed something wasnt right. There was a bow wave headed towards me along the rocks.

Next thing I know a est 15kg king goes past, here I am with 6 kilo line and no hope lol. With that came at least 40+ of his mates behind all fat and round. Nothing I threw at them worked but did manage to get them whirpooling!

So somewhere in the bay are a school of massive kings!

You've given my goose bumps lol.

its amazing how you can spend a whole day looking for them with no luck, to then see them casually swimming where you'd least expect it.

great work on the tailor.

Cheers Daniel

Do you have a picture of the 60cm Luderick or is that a typo?

It would smash any Raider record by 13cm's. Well done.

I have never seen a blackfish that big in my life & I'm sure many others experienced

in the 'dark art' haven't either, so I'd love to see a photo.

They are nice tailor as well. What lures were you throwing to catch them & the luderick?

Cheers,

Grant.

Grant, Lure was a bibbed minnow, honestly m8 I dont even know the name of it, was lying in the tackle box I dont even know where the bloody thing came from. Just liked its colour. luderick went back in, dont fish for em and never have so wouldnt know how big they get and as for records I only play them, I dont chase them.

Do you have a picture of the 60cm Luderick or is that a typo?

It would smash any Raider record by 13cm's. Well done.

I have never seen a blackfish that big in my life & I'm sure many others experienced

in the 'dark art' haven't either, so I'd love to see a photo.

They are nice tailor as well. What lures were you throwing to catch them & the luderick?

Cheers,

Grant.

I'm thinking its a typo too, but I was snorkeling at fly point last week and I reckon I saw a luderick at least 55cm. Big, fat and slow and I was in a sanctuary zone! Oh, how I like to tease myself.

Not to mention the bream that were that big they looked like snapper! Damn them regulations!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nah no typo just a guess but 55-60 easy. Scratchie have been fortunate to see many things at sea, harbour etc. Four things stick out the most, The red tide, green tide, the mullet run and a full blown tuna run.

Red tide of spawning snapper up to 15kg turning over each other off kurnell, green tide of thousands of spawning blackfish at the yellow boy off ben buckler plenty of big fish. The Botany Bay mullet run the length of Molineaux. Run of Massive Yellowfin 250nm to sea as far as the eye could see.

There are many bigger fish in, around and off Sydney than people think.You just gotta know where to look and when.

Guest Aussie007

Day off today so decided to throw a lure off the breakwall.

After 2md cast nailed a solid 50 cm tailor amd thought this could be interesting. Nailed another four. Threw em all back and kept going. Moved along the wall and managed a nice 60cm luderick. Looked down the water towards the old ramp and noticed something wasnt right. There was a bow wave headed towards me along the rocks.

Next thing I know a est 15kg king goes past, here I am with 6 kilo line and no hope lol. With that came at least 40+ of his mates behind all fat and round. Nothing I threw at them worked but did manage to get them whirpooling!

So somewhere in the bay are a school of massive kings!

report is a bit fishy but i'll give u the benefit of the doubt, we were catching 40-45cm stocky tailors around 9-12 months ago none were 50cm+ tho

i caught a whopper luderick as a kid in chipping norton lake off the break wall but i have to agree with the other blokes 60cm is a bloody huge black fish!

15kg kingy? i dont go by weight only measurement so i looked it up on the DPI/ fisheries web site thats a school of 1m+ kingys i have never seen that in the 4-5 years ive been downrigging kings in the bay, i didnt even see that size fishing port kembla and we absolutely nailed those kings one year, but if its true ill be out in the bay weekly chasing them as im yet to crack the meter kings as i cant get off shore for those big mother lovers

6kg line?! whats stopping ya, have a crack at them, i was live baiting yakkas on 6lb line for 50-55cm salmon at mol point a few weeks ago great fun on a 1-2kg rod

I'm sorry mate. But I find it hard to believe that a "easy 55-60cm" Luderick

was caught on a bibbed minnow.

I don't think I'd be the only one.

I've also seen many amazing things things at sea over 40 years of fishing in 43 countries.

Thanks for the report.

Topic closed as this is going to get silly.

Cheers,

Grant