Which site is best for checking weather conditions ? Opinions please raiders

mrbroadbill

I will use a combination of sources. Firstly i use seabreeze to scout for aday where onshore will be relatively good, which will give an indication of offshore conditions, then i use BOM (their "meteye" feature) which can be used to pinpoint conditions (wave and wind) charts well offshore, which is great. Buoyweather is good too. I would never rely on seabreeze alone if heading far offshore.

im a surfer and fisherman ! i love willy weather for fishing as it gives detail on wind and tides etc. i have bom rain radr , that is so very handy when you see sh*t is getting dark and you no there is rain coming but when and how far ? and yes also coastal watch and swellnet ....

regards bretto

and a solid understanding of weather principles with continuous observation.

if a north westerly is forecast and the southerly comes early, dont complain.

if the clouds clear and an unpredicted nor easter kicks in, you should have known that would happen

the weather is more than one paragraph issued daily.

Have to agree you cant rely on just one source. Seabreeze is good for planning ahead a few days but changes often but as the day comes closer compare it with the BOM and possibly Willyweather. You can often get big variations between Seabreeze and BOM. When the 2 or 3 sources vary take the safe option and assume the worse case scenario.

Just to add another one to the mix, I use the weather zone plus app. This uses the bom data and also the radar.

I generally check more than one site to get a good overview and take the conservative option. I also look at seabreeze and coastal watch.

I will check out willy weather as I haven't used it before.

Mrbroadbill, I find one of the best to be is passageweather. Seabreeze, willyweather etc etc all use info provided by bom. Since the massive disaster of the Syd 2 Hobart, bom have changed their wind predictions.

The best way to work out what is going on with the weather is to study your cloud types and what they mean/forecast. Once you master cloud types wondering what the weather will be doing in 1 day or 4 days is easy. Yes you make mistakes but you learn why quick. You dont need a weather site.

Also the free boating news, Afloat has a great section on weather. Read it learn it, available online. If you can get your hands on a copy of marine meteorology by larry lawrence get it.

Some great advice in these posts, but can anyone tell me what VHF frequency is the best one to listen to for weather warnings?

Also, I like stevefish observation that;

"the weather is more than one paragraph issued daily."

Too too true!

Cheers

Paikea