Brand new Yamaha outboard Burning oil on Start Up

Basil D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdASjntfkCM

Makes you sick paying all this cash and this Happens.

I have contacted Yamaha again and they have asked me to take it back to the fitter, dont know what will happen yet, this is the second time Im taking it back and the smoke is getting worse.
It makes me sick the smell and the fumes, I have asma and that smoke effects me, my wife wont go on the boat anymore, fun times ahead.

Groper,

I feel for you mate, just a few things, are your exhaust ports clear of the water level when starting it? they look like they aren't. That could be your problem. It they are in the water it prevents the exhaust gases form escaping that's why your getting a bit of extra smoke and crap on start up. Also you run the risk of forcing water back up though your exhaust and though the exhaust valves and into your engine although the risk is quite low.

How much oil are you loosing?

The smoke seems to clear after is has run for about 10 seconds in the video or does it hang around?

Ben

Edited by Whaler 255

Yamaha know of this problem and on service use half a litre less oil, they have made a new mark on the dip stick and have a bulletin on this problem, not all the engine do this . I might get a new engine who knows.

here is the bulletin sheet.

post-8352-0-93812500-1381912619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Trim your engine up higher mate and see how you go, it looks like its angle down in the video. How long does it take to use 1/2 L?

I can't see Yamaha replacing the engine at this stage as its not a "recall bulletin" so to speak, more of an advisory one. A few must do it they have put the bulletin out and probably the other owners are aware as you are. Hope it all get sorted soon.

Ben

On another note, my 275 Vrod use to make oil so to speak and occasionally blow smoke on start up , after it was trimmed up. Mercury said it must be trimmed down for 5 minutes before starting after bring trimmed up. Opposite to what you have here.

I replied to you on the other forum ...same as grouper says

My dealer told me this when just got my twin 150s done so I didn't go home check my oil and then call him and complain my sump wasn't filled properly.

Seems as if maybe too many issues flowing back into cylinders and burning off if too full

Not too concerned with it but thought Ide share, They should let the public know what they are buying before they buy it.

but if it does get worse, I have kept all records etc, they have to do something about it.

Anyway its back to Yamaha On Saturday they want another look at it.

Edited by Groper

Not good mate..Did it only just started or have always been doing this since you got it?

Its always been a slight puff on start up, but left few outings Ive noticed it getting worse.

Its of to yamaha Tomorrow so Dont know how long I will be without a boat :(

Garden must be in schmick condition then. :).

I remember you are saying you are a Yamaha man for life, Like all the other Yamaha fanboys. :) .

I still am but the problem is I got the bad egg in batch of a thousand so to peek.

Even the outboard fitter said its the first he has seen like this.

Dam rotten luck.

Hi, not the first one I have seen by a long shot and we had to give a guy back his money on an engine that exhibited the exact same problem you have and trust me if it was one in a thousand there would not be a bulletin on it.

I am sure they will get you sorted.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, not the first one I have seen by a long shot and we had to give a guy back his money on an engine that exhibited the exact same problem you have and trust me if it was one in a thousand there would not be a bulletin on it.

I am sure they will get you sorted.

Cheers,

Huey.

Cheers for that Info Huey, Most appreciate it.