Do I need flares

Swaz

Was just doing a safety equipment check before heading out tomorrow for a bit of a sight seeing tour from Davistown (Brisbane Waters) to Pittwater and up into the Hawkesburry. RMS site says I need flares for open waters. Do I need flares? I am not going to be more than 2nm off shore. I can't ever remember having flares on the numerous other trips out there I have made. Hmm, I haven't mounted the compas yet and don't have a fire extinguiser either...

Edited by Swaz

I would take them, if I could buy them before going tomorrow.

Have had a look and we will be in limited open waters where it is only considered open waters if the waves are 0.5m high (who determines that!)

So, not sure what to do. Might just have to drive to Brooklyn.

If you have an EPIRB I would risk it if conditions are ok and your boat is gunna do it easy.

Some things to keep in mind, Do you have a radio, will you have mobile phone service all the way, And are you experienced,

Are you taking kids or people that arnt strong swimmers.

Its a bit anal but when S#$% happens on the water they can go bad quick.

Just to clarify. I am going to Ettalong, between Lion Island and the shore and into either Pittwater or the Hawkesbury. Def not a long way off shore. At most, and looking at the last trip I did this way we were maybe 750m off a shore line at any one time.

We are going during daylight hours and the forecast is looking good. I am a very cautious person and I don't like breaking rules. I don't have an EPIRB, because I never go out that far! Got a radio yes and life jackets which we wear. I am a very strong swimmer and my mate is a reasonible swimmer.

I am more concerned with being pulled up by RMS and fined than I am of risking my life.

Agree with the above - What if the engine cuts out, you cant get reception on your phone. Even worse... engine blows and sparks a small fire... you dont have a fire extinguisher?

Safety is 100%. Mount that compass, get a radio/EPIRB (id have an EPIRB even in a kayak 590 meters off let alone 2 NM's.

Dont take the risk...anything can happen the sea is unpredictable and weather reports are never 100% accurate!

Have decided to not rush out and buy flares, have also decided to not go into open waters today. Instead just stick to Brisbane Waters and poke around there for a few hours. I have a fire extinguisher sorted and will be buying a permanent one for it before I go out in it again. Heading out now to mount the compass.

Thank you everyone for their advice and sense.

Flares are needed past the open water line, you need to confirm where that is in your area I know on the harbour it is BEFORE the heads.

I got done for out of date flares last week at longy, he advised there is ZERO tolerance from now on. I had every otjer piece of safety equipment and we both had jackets on.

Flare kit was only 56 bucks and as above is a no brainer. EPIRB was expensive but essential too.

Happy safe fishing!