Tuggerah Lakes.....empty....at least for me HAHA

jezzap84

Was fishing up at Tuggerah Lakes this weekend. Was getting heaps of nibbles but nothing landed. Typical for my fishing but good fun anyway. Was teaching my brother how to fish...well how to cast and rig up, can't teach him how to catch anything, he might have to show me.

Does anyone know this area? Is it quiet at the moment and thats why there was nothing happening?

Just have to hope the next adventure is a little more fruitful haha.

Cheers

Jezza

Yes I fish and prawn here, at The Entrance anyway, always a bit quiet this time of year September October. There are fish there but hard to catch, The ribbon weed that is floating around everywhere we think is caused by those weed eating machines. They don't seem to be doing much eating just making a lot of mess.

There's Salomon on the beaches, but no whiting, Flathead in the main channel to Pelican Island, but you need a boat, not many whiting yet

The Perch have gone off the bite at the moment as well, now this is all during the day, not sure of the evening report.

Prawning starts again on Wednesday night for 3 weeks.

Cheers Steve

Hey Jezza ,

i fish on the ocean side of the bridge & i wade out onto the sandbars and flick the odd lure into the channels , up stream on the run out . . this yields some good results .I walk up as far towards the bridge as i can through the middle of the sand bank and hang back about 3 metres from the edge and flick lures out in different patterns . . . . moving backwards towards where i entered and try all the ground i walked till i reach the starting point where i entered - i have found the red and white lures 100mm or so the best for flatty , but have caught whiting on the crawdad lures in the same location but at the very bottom of the tide and in clear water

Alternatively you can throw live poddy's below a float into the main run almost at the top of the tide which is reasonably productive - between the small ramp at the last of the pines and the bend where the channel turns out into the sea is good ground.

On the north side you can do the same thing - depending on the water traffic - at the last channel marker before the old co-op on the opposing side of the channel is often good.

Regards Gibson

All decent areas for flatty

Great report there Gibson.

I've heard from the local tackle shop that he's been selling blood worms by the hundreds. They have been bagging out on big whiting in the area you speak of, but at night time.

The local prawns are doing well as bait also, must be the local ones.

Cheers Steve

Hi Gibson,

I was fishing in that spot I am pretty sure. I was staying at Dunleith Tourist Park, and those sand flats led to a nice little channel. Was using prawns as bait but absolutely nadda.

Started flicking soft plastics later in the afternoon too for nadda. The pelicans appreciated the prawns at the end of the trip though.

Still ate some nice flattie, just not caught by me. Haven't crossed that one off the list yet.

Cheers

Jezza

cheers ,

with the prawn run about to begin here things will heat up even more so

A few of the diehard prawners will have a rod attached to the rear of their fish tubs/pump up rafts that they tow behnd them , , , , they do pretty good as well.

im only in it for the prawns though and do very well when i can put the hours in.

some of the elder jew men use to keep small blackfish caught while prawning to flick into the run and try for jew later that night or the following . . . which is successful here . . .

you just let the tide take it out a fair way before it stops and then wait . . this works only on the run out ofcourse . . the jews lurk out their in the murky waters that escape the lake system waiting for the next meal to approach.

Yeah the shops sell lots of blood worms up here . . i use to manage a local tackle shop @ the entrance and one at wamberal for a short stint many many moons ago .

The entrance shop always smashed sales of the worms as guys would ring throught their orders and show up just as i was locking up after the haul from the city to get here.

the wambie shop really only catered for rock hoppers and the outside crews.

Im hoping to go out and snag some squid this next day or so for bait . . just need to find the time.

Regards Gibson

Hey Jezza, , ,

Buggers . . . i enter from the memoral park side and head towards the bridge , but you can acheive the same result given that the banks may be better to access gutters etc on the dunleith side . . they dredge here often and the variations are constant. . . . they are their and now the prawns are kicking off will draw them even closer the ocean side of the bridge as the closer you get to the ocean the more of a bottle neck scenario applies . . which is good because it minimises the grounds to cover.

I dive from the front of the rocks out to the bommie and the flatty are just beyond the rocks at the very foreshore - N/NE less than a hundred feet everywhere and the numbers are excellent.

also the bronzes are in huge numbers there at times also . . .but more to the east . i get a few bream and red mowie occassionally to . . plenty of jackets etc to the south towards the surfclub

Gibson

Hey Jezza, , ,

Buggers . . . i enter from the memoral park side and head towards the bridge , but you can acheive the same result given that the banks may be better to access gutters etc on the dunleith side . . they dredge here often and the variations are constant. . . . they are their and now the prawns are kicking off will draw them even closer the ocean side of the bridge as the closer you get to the ocean the more of a bottle neck scenario applies . . which is good because it minimises the grounds to cover.

I dive from the front of the rocks out to the bommie and the flatty are just beyond the rocks at the very foreshore - N/NE less than a hundred feet everywhere and the numbers are excellent.

also the bronzes are in huge numbers there at times also . . .but more to the east . i get a few bream and red mowie occassionally to . . plenty of jackets etc to the south towards the surfclub

Gibson

Next time you go diving out these send me a pm and I will give you my gopro to use and take some underwater footage. Would lover to see what it is like out there