ALBACORE SOLO EFFORT

winki

Hey thanks guys, my boat is a 4.5m Polycraft. I Headed out from Broken Bay early Sat morn and headed out for the shelf in search of a big Yellow Fin or a nice Blue Marlin.. found plenty of stripies on the shelf but nothing else. I than head out further in search of better fish, I ended up finding most of the fish in 500 fathoms and a couple in 300 fathoms.. I was trying to fish a bit of temp break between 20.3 & 21.8.. conditions were nice and I was happy that I wasnt getting smashed by 30kn winds for a change.. Their is always next wk for the big Blue or YF.. cheers

Your mad,well done though.

On another note,is it your blue poly thats parked in Ourimbah just down from the child care centre.

Na mate I live near Avoca, but I got a mate with a blue poly at Ourimbah..cheers

What type of boat is that mate? How does it handle offshore?

Well done on the Albies! And even better that it was a solo effort!

Thanks mate, the boat is a Polycraft and its the best boat I have ever owned for its size..really handles well and during the marlin season im out on the shelf nearly every week and the weather is not always perfect believe me! If U have anymore questions feel free to ask..cheers

Congrats on the catch

Very brave to go that far solo, guess you had freinds on other boats nearby?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk now Free

Na mate just went out myself on Sat and I like to find my own spots and try to stay away from other boats, so if u find the fish U have them all to yourself..cheers

I think your tag name says it all...... Commited.

Thanks for filling in your story and well done on the fish. It can be really rewarding flying solo, you have no one to second guess you and if you fail no one knows! Haha. :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sorry to throw cold water over this post but in my mind and I am sure in the minds of the relevant authorities going out to 500 Fathoms and beyond, on your own with no other boats is not brave. No matter how good the boat might be, at 4.5 M long it is going to be frightening if not fatal if a Southerly or blustering North Wester should come up and you have to con the boat back in mounting seas.

We have all stretched the limits in our lives and got away with it, but that does not mean that it is a good idea to depict this type of offshore trip as the norm so that other, less experienced boat owner fishos will blindly follow.

Love the fish that you caught but maybe you should consider adding a warning to any future posts that trips like this are not for the inexperienced or ill prepared. And warn of the bad scenarios that could arise if you do not keep an eye on the weather, wear a life jacket, have a good radio and all the safety gear required by law and beyond.

We all love adventure, god knows I have had my share but always think beyond your own position and the risk that you may be putting others to if things go pear shape 40 Ks out.

At 74 YO I will probably be considered to be an old fuddy duddie after this post but having pulled bodies out of the water I would rather sound a timely warning than stand back and watch some future tragedy that could have been prevented.

Cheers

Paikea

Yeah mate I know what your saying and believe me my family say the same thing.. I would hope fellow fishers use their brains and have the appropriate safety gear. I have been a fishing guide for many years working in remote locations and all weather conditions.. To me it is just as risky as jumping out of a plane, rock climbing, surfing and many other sports.. This is what I love to do for a challenge and I could easily go with mates that own 30ft + game boats but its not for me.. OLD MAN AND THE SEA STYLE. and I dont want to die doing this but if I do, so be it.. Thanks for your opinion and everyone is entiltled to there own opinion! See you out on the water..

Go the Poly! i have a 4.55 poly and fish in the rough stuff all the time. Nice fish!

Yeah thanks dude, U only live once..live life to fullest..and fish every chance u get but dont get married..haha

Yeah thanks dude, U only live once..live life to fullest..and fish every chance u get but dont get married..haha

Nice one mate. I watched your Marlin Vids from last year at the car park. They were awesome and has made me want to get one off sydney.

COMMITED, on 22 Oct 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Yeah mate I know what your saying and believe me my family say the same thing.. I would hope fellow fishers use their brains and have the appropriate safety gear. I have been a fishing guide for many years working in remote locations and all weather conditions.. To me it is just as risky as jumping out of a plane, rock climbing, surfing and many other sports.. This is what I love to do for a challenge and I could easily go with mates that own 30ft + game boats but its not for me.. OLD MAN AND THE SEA STYLE. and I dont want to die doing this but if I do, so be it.. Thanks for your opinion and everyone is entiltled to there own opinion! See you out on the water..

Good response, clearly you are well prepared and highly experienced so the risk is known, prepared for and you know what to do in case of problems. I have taken numerous calculated risks myself over the years and never had a problem but I think it behoves us more experienced folk to stress key safety provisions that form a vital part of going offshore alone.

Hence my concern was that your super effort (which it is by any criteria) may encourage some totally inexperienced fishos to copy you and coming undone in a big way.

No criticism intended, and I agree that going alone (be it boating, diving, hunting or bushwalking) remains an adrenalin charged experience that has few equal. See you on the water some day.

Cheers

Paikea

Good response, clearly you are well prepared and highly experienced so the risk is known, prepared for and you know what to do in case of problems. I have taken numerous calculated risks myself over the years and never had a problem but I think it behoves us more experienced folk to stress key safety provisions that form a vital part of going offshore alone.

Hence my concern was that your super effort (which it is by any criteria) may encourage some totally inexperienced fishos to copy you and coming undone in a big way.

No criticism intended, and I agree that going alone (be it boating, diving, hunting or bushwalking) remains an adrenalin charged experience that has few equal. See you on the water some day.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks Paikea your concerns are appreciated.. The main thing I would say to fishos going Solo is to wear the lanyard to cut engine if U fall in or get pulled overboard by a good fish..I know of a couple of people that fell out of the boat and tried to climb back in and got chopped by the prop..not pretty. Cheers

Initially I must say top fish Commited. I understand the "do it in your own small boat" mentality and I must say I have seen a lot more big boats requiring assistance to get home than small boats.

You know what your boat can handle and how it will perform. It appears well maintained and equipped .

I have fished the shelf in both big boats and small boats (I have owned a 445f Haines for near 30yrs) and would say some of the bigger craft I have been on certainly represented much higher chances to require a tow home so the whole big is better doesn't hold water.

See you on the water

Marlin01

I am a huge fan of poly boats. I fish in a mates 195 triumph CC and it is awesome. It is never going to sink. We were recently at Browns and noticed we had taken on a lot of water and the bilge had failed. Now normally this is a big problem, but we got her on the plane and water started draining out and we motored home no problem. Found and fixed the problem and the marine shop said we had about 1200 litres in the hull at rest. That is enough water to sink many a boat.

Mike

Thanks Paikea your concerns are appreciated.. The main thing I would say to fishos going Solo is to wear the lanyard to cut engine if U fall in or get pulled overboard by a good fish..I know of a couple of people that fell out of the boat and tried to climb back in and got chopped by the prop..not pretty. Cheers

Now thats a top tip, will be taking that onboard.

Might just be the tip that saves me if I was to slip / get knocked out pounding home in heavy seas 1 up.

Nice couple of Albies mate. If you are keen to team up in the 4.5m boats to nail a Bluefin next season give me a yell. In the mean time I hope there are plenty of marlin on offer for you this summer!

With respect to the size of the boat. I can say a 4.5m boat is very safe with a competent skipper and the common-sense not to take any unnecessary risks weather wise. You are safer in a 4.5 on a good day than someone in a 6m half cabin that risks some dicey weather.