New snapper fishing rules in S.A.

Yowie

Was at Batemans Bay last week, headed out on a charter boat for a few hours (and only a few fish landed)

The charter skipper headed to S.A. recently for a crack at the big snapper. New rules apply.

Maximum snapper size is 60cm (and the big ones are over that) Only one fish per person to be landed, so if over the limit, the fish is released, and then you must stop fishing, no more lines to sent over by yourself. Others can fish until they land their one fish, then everyone stops fishing and the boat returns to shore.

Might be a short charter if everyone hooks up early, and the average price per person is $350. Most charter operators are not going out due to the new rules, as fishos won't pay that amount to catch and release one fish.

They can target other fish, but a lot of fishos want to target the big snapper. If you want a feed, suppose you can target K.G. whiting, but the snapper men only want to catch snapper.

The Batemans Bay charter was $125 for a half day, for me it was 1 reddie of 44cm, 1 mowie, 1 pigfish, 1 maori wrasse, 1 nannygai, and under sized blue spot flatties, and that was the best of the catch.

The charter skipper hit a patch of reddies in September, which he thinks is a good month for them, and landed 47 reds to 10 pound in one morning. The fishos kept 30 (don't know why a few blokes need to keep so many)

The charter skipper headed to S.A. recently for a crack at the big snapper. New rules apply.

Did you confirm the regulations or are you just basing the information of what the "skipper" had to say?

SA Fisheries website suggests individual bag limits up to 10 and has bag limits for fish over 60cm?

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/target_species/snapper

Edited by Cheap Charlie

I am only basing it on what the charter skipper told me. I assumed he was telling me the truth, as he was recently 'fishing there'.

Read the website thread, it differs from what the skipper told me.

As you know, fishos are one of the biggest fibbers in the world. The only way to find out is to go there and try.

Maybe the site sponsors can throw us some money Charlie, to have a crack at the reds and find the truth !!!