Snapper Combo

xide

Hi Raiders,

I'm in the market for a Snapper/Jew combo.

I currently own a Pflueger Trion 2-4kg 7ft rod with a 2500 Shimano Symetre running 6lb braid/6lb leader that i use for light estuary fishing. I understand i could use my current setup for snapper and jew, but i would like to get a dedicated combo for that.

I wasn't able to find much recent information in regards to my question, but from what i've gathered from my research was that i should be looking at a 3-6kg or 4-7/8kg rod and either a 3000 to 4000 size reel with 15lb braid and 20lb leader.

My budget is about $350. So far i've researched about the raider snapper rod and the stradic fj. Would appreciate any advice on targetting these fish and rod, reel and line suggestions.

Thanks,

Xide

The Raider snapper rods are great value and so too are the Symetre reels. I know there are better reels (or more expensive) around but in terms of value for money I don't think you can go past them. I have 2 of the 4000 with 15lb and 20lb braid and 2 of the 2500 with 6 and 8lb braid. Save the cash and buy more lures.

The Raider snapper rods are great value and so too are the Symetre reels. I know there are better reels (or more expensive) around but in terms of value for money I don't think you can go past them. I have 2 of the 4000 with 15lb and 20lb braid and 2 of the 2500 with 6 and 8lb braid. Save the cash and buy more lures.

Hi Mate,

Cheers for your response. I really do like my symetre 2500, I was considering getting another in either size 3000 or 4000 for the snapper rod if i couldn't get any better recommendations. Is it better to get a size 4000 over a 3000 for a snapper rod? I notice the 3000 is the same weight as the 2500, but the 4000 is heavier.

Totally agree. I have two symetre's 2500 and 4000 with suitable trion rods on 6lb and 15lb braid and they are fantastic even stopped a few kings on the 4000.

Hi Mate,

That's great to hear, i do like my 2500 symetre and Trion combo. They do seem the best value for money rod and reel around that perform great. Just wonder what other rod and reels can do, I wouldn't mind having 2 setups of symetres and trions, just think maybe something different might be better. I don't know actually, haha.

Bee sea eff have the symetre 4000 with sahara graphite rod for 150, bloody good deal.

Oh really? I was just looking at the catalogue myself and only noticed the Stradic 4000FJ sahara combo for 239 and the raiders on special at 119 which is same as online stores.I know they had the symetre combo on special about a month ago.

Mmm stradic is nice of you can stretch it. I bought a 6000 and absolutely love it. I really think they are worth the extra cash, especially if you get a lot of use like me.

I see. Would the 3000 or 4000 be better for a snapper/jew combo? What about the rod to go with it. 3-6, 4-7/8?

Thanks for your advice i appreciate it.

Im no expert but have bought a lot of gear. I would go 4000 with 3-6 for sp or 4-7 if baiting. Much of a muchness really

Ah i see. Well i appreciate your advice, thanks a lot.

Hi mate,

Shimano Raider 762 5-8kg, stradic 4000 with 14lb braid. I use it and its one of my favourites.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for your input. The stradic seems to get a lot of praise and the raiders seem a great value rod. The 762 is the 7'6" model, do you find it casts a good distance at that size? I've only fished around 7ft rods.