outside tomorrow

herdsman

Are mutton birds protected? I feel pretty bad when I accidently hook one up and try to avoid it. The other week I saw guy on the rocks catch one and then I am shocked as he kills it and starts plucking it's feathers out then places it into a bag.

Are mutton birds protected? I feel pretty bad when I accidently hook one up and try to avoid it. The other week I saw guy on the rocks catch one and then I am shocked as he kills it and starts plucking it's feathers out then places it into a bag.

Just read up on them and yes, they do appear to be protected in Australia, except in Tasmania where they're harvested at certain times.

Quite amazing how far these birds migrate. We had one hang around our boat a couple of weeks ago. Would've fed him some pillies had I known it had just flown all the way from North America :1yikes:

I was driving on Stockton beach yesterday afternoon and there was literally thousands of them dead on the beach.

We found one on our front yard last week and took it to the vet. It was the tenth one she received that morning and explained that they are just exhausted. They cannot take off once they are on land as there feet and legs aren't designed for solid surfaces.

Anyway, we saved at least one!

Cheers scratchie!!!