novice surf fishing at Stockton beach

kwonderl

Hello,

I have decided to take up surf fishing. I have the suitable rod, checked out lots of YouTube videos on casting and spotting gutters, looking for rips and have the polaroids too. Gone out a few times and returned fishless(28/10/13 - 29/10/13). I use pilchards on 3 ganged hooks.

The places I ave tried at Stockton are both sides of the south break wall, the beach either side of the break wall. Also griffith St entrance to the beach.

Do I have to move further up stockton beach such as the Anna Bay end?Are there GPS co-ordinates available?

Would really appreciate specific locations on such a big beach or if some one can take me out to show me the tricks.

Thank You

Hi There,

You'd be lucky to get GPS co-ords for any specific place on a beach as beaches are constantly changing as far as where the gutters and holes are (unless this beach is different - having never been there myself I maybe shouldn't comment).

Don't be disheartened by 2 fishless trips. Are your sinkers holding ground in the surf and not washing up the beach? Also try taking a variety of baits, squid strips hold on well in the surf, maybe try a half pilchard on a single hook as well since picky eaters will be turned off by gang hooks.

I also never go surf fishing without burley in an onion bag tied to my rod holder.

Mate I will be fishing Stockton in Saturday morning of the weathers good and will let you know how I go. Most reports I have are from 5km from Anna bay down to the signa wreck. They are generally the most productive areas!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey mate,

Was at Stockton this morning about 5km down from anna bay. Had a lovely egg and bacon roll and then set out 2 rods. Forgot rod holders so my son gave in. Found a nice gutter and within 5 mins I was on, nice little tailor.

post-24974-0-16403700-1383350250_thumb.jpg

Caught a couple more and dropped a sambo in the wash. The tide was 1hr on outgoing and there were plenty of gutters about. Seen a few other guys with some big sambos too!

Good luck!!!

Cheers scratchie!!!