Feeling a Yak coming on

Witha

Hi YakRaiders, have been seriously considering getting an intro range yak to get started with, being sydney based and not having the funds/storage potential for a tinny I love the idea and versatility a yak gives! The simplicity of the idea I feel stupid for not grabbing one years ago.

So from your wealth of experience I was hoping to grab a few gems of knowledge on types/ quality for the price. Obviously not going straight for a hobie although I love the idea of one. Anyone got any experience with the new cheapos ~400 ish ones popping up?

Cheers!

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Witha,

Use the search utility on this site to find lots of advice to help answer your question. You'll come across those that will argue that you should steer clear of "cheap and cheerfuls" and get a proven second hand yak, and others that will champion the decision to buy a sub $400 yak as your first. Both camps offer good advice.

Myself, I went for the sub $400 yak and I can't complain so far. I've only been out a handful of times since acquiring my craft, but I wouldn't take mine offshore. At 2.7m, it's ideally suited to still waters and estuaries. Although they come with some nice accessories, it doesn't hurt to trick them out a little bit. For example, the molded rod holders can do with some 15 - 20cm PVC tube inserts to get your reels up away from of the splash zone. There's plenty of little DIY projects that will save you further cash, as well. I built a PVC yak cart. It wound up costing me about $75 in parts (didn't have much "laying around" so had to buy everything), but a bought one will cost you between $120 - $150.

Anyway, keep reading and whatever you decide to buy, I'm sure you'll have heaps of fun once you take delivery of your new yak.

Cheers,

Nursie

Edited by GreyNurse

All the best with your search, mate - I can only recommend that you go for the best value that you can afford - YES, 2nd hand yaks with 'add ons' are often the way to go - but make sure you test them ON THE WATER to make sure they suit your weight & size & style of preferred fishing method!

cheers

Roberta

Stay Safe