Slide Fishing

EGK24A

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was explained to me that the bait would make its way down to the bottom at its own pace. If it decides to swim down the slider allows it too but if cannot swim back up. So it's really only got one place to go after it is slid out.

A livie heading down to the bottom will catch a whole

lot of ugly ooglies.

Dog sharks, port jacksons, wirrahs, eels, rays etc will get

to your bait before the kingies will.

Any way, if you have the time & patience you may land a fish,

but with the heavy line needed to cast then I doubt it.

Cheers,

Grant.

I use a float with about 2 meters of leader and swivel clip it on after the cast with 2 small bean weights 4 inches above the hook so it pulls the bait down... But I dead bait this tactic, it takes a while for the bait to get out there but once it is it has worked before as long as the pests that strip the hook stay away...

I've not hooked up to any kings yet but had salmon and tailor which are cruising the top water section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by tef1on

^^ too true. But off the stones, distance doesn't always pay. Fishing structure and wash is more key, unless you are after horse sized fish, in which case use a balloon. The number of times I've seen big pelagics cruise along the rocks, only feet out, without berley or any incouragement....

Some guy did. Ended up taking a 20 minute swim in the ocean and then got a free helicopter ride home and a 20 second mention on the news. Lucky he was wearing a life jacket but what possessed him to go out in that weather is beyond me.

have seen this type of fishing off the piers in the city....

they have caught massive jews by using this method/.

attach a live squid to this slider and let it slide to the bottom.

Yeah I have seen it off the pier as well. Seems to be quite popular there.

Seen them land some nice kings and as well.

Hopefully will get the chance to try it soon.

Any good beaches to fish off around the Sydney/Botany area?

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, used this a few weeks ago and seems like they are doing pretty well for me. Anchor the sinker down on the floor and slide the bait out and just let it do it's things. Used Circle Hooks to hook the bait up. Caught this guy a few weeks back, just haven't had time to load things up until now. I am going to continue using these and will keep everyone posted.

Has anyone else had the chance to use anything like this lately? How did it work for you?

Personally I kind of liked it :)

1538695_10152115397630781_1673264756_n.j

I made some slides out of stainless steel spring wire the other day and made a grappling sinker too gave it a crack off the beach worked well but no takers of live yakka... The 4 squid didn't fair so well on the trip down so put one out on a running rig a purchased snelled Jew rig ... It got smashed... Big run then snap

I will be giving it a load more tries in the coming weeks

The slider rigs are sweet I tried pulling them off 100lb mono and they didn't budge .. It was the crap leader that broke on my other line .. I only put it on because I forgot my spool of 50 lb leader

Hey guys,

talking of heavy casting, when we were ottom bashing off the rocks back in the 80s, we would use a 4 oz lead on a 15lb breakaway running paternoster, with a 20lb main line. you could cast for miles with an 8 wrap MT8144 and a tritonmag or similar overhead.

So that means roughly a 4 to 1 ratio on the sinker line was adequate.

Also a 15lb breakoff leader on the sinker meant you didn't break your back - or the rod when you got snagged...

Cheers

Chris