brand of braid for kings?

stillwater

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Just a question for those who downrig for kings. I want to spool my Okuma Salina 3 Spin Reel with 80lb braid. What would be the best braid for this? Will be doing a fair bir of downrigging at Sydney and Jervis Bay.

Cheers

What model salina did you get? I got a 10000 and only just managed to fit 300yards of 50lb power pro on it with pretty much no backing.

If you've got a 10000 series try fine the smallest diameter braid possible, 16000 has a bit more space but I would expect close to the same capacity. The guide provided by okuma is way off, I compared diameter of the actual braid against their guide and was off by about 100m

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi stillwater, I checked out the specs for the Okuma Salina 3

It didn't specify the drag pressure that it can handle, but say it is 8kgs which may be a stretch then there is little point of using any line greater than 50lbs at the very most. I have a Stella 18000 with 20kgs of drag and don't use more than 80lb braid. If you cant use the line to anywhere near the limit, I see little point. I would also add, that there is no way I can fight with the drag at near 20kgs.

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

I use YGK jigman and its lasted a very long time now. Whatever you get, get one with the changing colours every 10 metres. It's very helpful.

The colour changes at 10 M is sooo good. First used it jigging for big Kings in NZ where the Skipper would say "let it down 8 colours" that is where the fish are." Worked a treat!

Cheers

Paikea