Tides?

MannY

My question is in relation to tides. I've noticed that tide flushes very differently.. some low tides are lower than other low tides and some higher than other high tides, but this type of tide boggles me.

On Thursday midnight I went fishing and notice the same thing. 6pm was supposed to be high tide and the tide did not turn until 10ish pm. 12:30ish am Friday was supposed to be low tide but the tide did not stop running out and continued to run out whilst filling up. I stayed fishing till about 6am and the tide was almost high and still running up whilst filling up.

The perfect scenario would been for the tide to have turned at 12:30am and start running in instead of running out. Does anyone know what this is called and how to predict it before heading out to fish?

Cheers

There are a lot of factors. a big swell can push water back up a river long before the run in tide begins. In some areas dense salt water can push up a river down deep while less saline water is still running out higher up in the water column.

Depending on how far up river you are or in which system you are in can have tide changes at very different times to a tide chart. you need to figure out how far before or after tide changes occur at the refrence spot on the chart. ie the high tide at Gladesville may be consistently 1 hour later than Fort Denison.

There are a lot of factors. a big swell can push water back up a river long before the run in tide begins. In some areas dense salt water can push up a river down deep while less saline water is still running out higher up in the water column.

Depending on how far up river you are or in which system you are in can have tide changes at very different times to a tide chart. you need to figure out how far before or after tide changes occur at the refrence spot on the chart. ie the high tide at Gladesville may be consistently 1 hour later than Fort Denison.

Tidal rivers can be a pain, but if fished frequently, you will learn the pattern. It will tend to be pretty consistant, so it will be plus so many hours on any coastal tide. Rain fall and freshwater flow, as well as relative river width and depth, even bends in the river, can alter tidal flow and movement and produce unique senarios that will leave you scratching your head. Practice and familiarity will follow.

Cheers

Thanks Flickn Mad, I've fished the same spot over 50times and can roughly tell the tide change at that spot. Its just that sometimes it doesn't turn and continues that way till the next tide change.

Your right Krause really does my head in trying to predict it before going out to fish. So far have noticed it to be around the 1\2 moon period..

I guess it also all depends on the previous tides, if previous high tide was very high the water might fill in much more and thus takes times to empty at next low tide. Then depending on how many deep areas and how deep/wide each of them are then it may takes time to fill in. Just a theory.

Edited by quochuy

Glad I made some sense, I had a couple of bourbons and wasn't sure if my thoughts matched my typing.

Today would be another example. Up the hawksbury there will probably be no run in tide due to the amount of fresh coming down. The water level may rise due to the push back from the run in tide down river but up river continue to run out.

The variance between two tides on a particular day, say the first low of 1 meter and the second of 1.2 meters is usually dependant on wether the moon and sun are working together or opposing each other as both play a role in the tides.

I used to fish a part of Brisbane river Brisbane and I was always surprised by the tide changes/anomiles. I could never get it exactly right, but I did work out a hole where the fish used to lay regardless of the variances. I believe the fish used to lay here because these tidal anomilies over many years had created a formation, structure and or a hole.

Maybe your spot might have a similar structure or formation caused by these strange tides. A honey hole just waiting to be discovered :)

A local to the area may give you part of the formula to assist with the prediction for example a westerly wind blowing at 25 knts for 3 days straight may affect your location.

I spoke to many people about these tides in the Brisbane river at this particular location and it wasn't until years after fishing the spot I happened across a guy that that gave a good explanation. The major factors at this location were the size of the tides, wind direction and strength, and rain fall.

Good luck