Hobie or not Hobie

stormy

Spent a week up at Tuncurry recently and met a bunch of great guys in the caravan park we stayed at. I had my 4.5m Prowler with me and it is just a terrific fishing kayak for most applications. Where it was a bit harder, was manoeuvring inside the oyster racks. Any wind or tidal flow, made it difficult to stay inside the corridors and it was a matter of cast, then use the paddle to get back online. If a fish was hooked, then it was often a case of ending up parked against a rack or getting ground against it with the drift. Much of my lure tossing is around moorings and racks, so the decision was made last week to sell the Prowler :( and invest in a new Hobie Outback. Found that a new dealership was opening in Nowra, that very day and they gave my mate Mark and I the best deal imaginable on a twin set of Outbacks.

Got turbo fins and the larger sail rudder plus a bunch of accessories, so will soon be set to test the new rig around my home waters of Port Hacking and Botany Bay. The Prowler will be missed (when it sells) as it is a fast, stable effective fishing platform. We went out most days for the week up at Tuncurry and landed nice flathead each time.

Roberta, you would have met some of the guys we fished with, up at the caravan park the other day. Mick knew them (he is from Newcastle and staying at the park until next week, I think) and goes up there every year for a couple of months. We are booked in for next November, so will try and be in touch to catch up for a chat or a fish. A pic of our new twins.

post-11324-0-41724900-1384980650_thumb.jpg

G'Day, Stormy!! Congratulations on you & your buddy getting your new Outback! Well done. You will get a lot of fishing pleasure from them.

Yes, I knew most of the guys at the caravan park - I was out fishing with them on the Sat when the big storm hit (check my report here)

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=70735&hl=

You will still have similar 'occurrences' in the racks with the Hobie, but at least you can power away with fish (in most cases) whilst just skull dragging them away from the structure! Many of the leases in Tuncurry have the current flow across at an angle which makes it even more 'difficult' to manoevure ....... whilst the Forster leases seem to be pointing 'with the current' more. If you fish the leases, you will have to accept that your yaks WILL get scratches!!

I will be fishing there this morning with a buddy from the bush - so may even see Mick on the water!

cheerio

Roberta

As I understand it, a couple of the sydney stores (owned by the one bloke) had their hobie status removed - mismanagement, I believe. Hobie & other stores are all fine!

Edited by Roberta