Preventing Corrosion of Galvanised Trailers

Paikea

I mentioned in another post that I would provide details of a product that has been most successful in preventing corrosion of boat trailers, caravan chassis the under body of cars etc.

The product is made by Valvoline, it is called Tectyl 506 Heavy Duty Rust Preventive. It comes in 400g spray cans.

The manufacturers describe the product as a "Unique Polarised Modified Petroleum Wax" and that it leaves a thin coating over the surface to which it has been applied giving up to 5 years protection against corrosion.

The colour of the product is something else, if you can imagine smearing the contents of a baby's nappy over your trailer you will be pretty close to the actual finish. It looks like sh%$ but it works!

My mate treated his trailer with it when he first bought his boat and then touched it up after a few years. When he finally sold the boat and trailer he cleaned the Tectyl off (I don't know how he did that) leaving the trailer looking like new.

One problem that I have found is that the nozzle clogs up after you use it. I used boiling water to clear it but only partially successful. The best thing is to use the whole can in one go which is easy if you are doing a trailer.

Just pick a hot day, thoroughly wash the trailer, (a gurney is great for that) and let it dry completely before applying the Tectyl.

I hope that this will be of assistance to some raiders who want to corrosion proof their gear.

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

I mentioned Tectyl in my post. It's a good product for the job provided you can accept the colour problem.

I'm not sure if overpainting is possible with this produce but if it can be painted then I think it'sa toss up between Tectyl & Penetrol.

Geoff

The colour of the product is something else, if you can imagine smearing the contents of a baby's nappy over your trailer you will be pretty close to the actual finish. It looks like sh%$ but it works!

Cheers

Paikea

My trailer looks like the above quote, without the treatment. Thanks for the tip :)

I mentioned Tectyl in my post. It's a good product for the job provided you can accept the colour problem.

I'm not sure if overpainting is possible with this produce but if it can be painted then I think it'sa toss up between Tectyl & Penetrol.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I am a little puzzled, why you would want to paint a galvanised trailer?

Surely the idea is to minimise maintenance not increase it.

Whilst I did not like the appearance of my mate's trailer the upside by far exceeded any aesthetic considerations. After all, what fisho wants to see their prized trailer gradually corroding.

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Geoff

I am a little puzzled, why you would want to paint a galvanised trailer?

Surely the idea is to minimise maintenance not increase it.

Whilst I did not like the appearance of my mate's trailer the upside by far exceeded any aesthetic considerations. After all, what fisho wants to see their prized trailer gradually corroding.

Cheers

Paikea

On new or trailers in good condition your correct. In my case , there were several reasons.

The main one being that parts of the trailer were begining to show signs of rust. These needed to be cleaned up which in some areas ment going back to bare metal.

Coating the trailer with a clear product may have fixed the rust problem but not the appearence.

Also , painting gave additional protection especially when Penetrol can deteriate over time from exposure to ultra violet light.

Geoff

Geoff

There are lots of products on the market for for rust trearment. All of the ones I've come across advise to remove the rust & clean the surface as best as possible , which can mean going back to bare metal , then applying a base coat to seal the surface.

Next , apply an over coat or top coat not only for appearence but to protect the base coat as base coats are normally not sufficent by them selves to prevent rust re occuring , ie they to need to be sealed.

Tectyl 506 is perhaps the exception to this procedure but from what I have read , cannot be overcaoted.

Geoff

Every 2 years I spray my trailer with a 50/50 mix of boiled

linseed oil & mineral turps.

It's great beacuase with the spray gun on a compressor I can

spray down any openings & cover the INSIDE of the trailer as well

as the exterior.

It's cheap & works very, very well.

Cheers,

Grant.

I bought a new galvanised trailer and gave it an extra coat of gal paint. I then followed up with two coats of Paving paint.

All coats were thickly put on. The end result fabulous. After 12 years of constant use the trailer was still in top condition.

What I found was salt was very easy to wash off trailer. A soft broom was used to help remove salt. A spray of citronella oil around screws with a top up of grease where necessary was always done.

Careful maintenance of all trailer parts is essential for lasting results. Using bearing buddies etc and perhaps upgrading your tyres and rims go a long way in prevention of trouble. Spend that extra bit of money and time will pay dividends.

Hi all, newish newbie here :D

Having just bought a new boat motor & trailer was wondering what this tectyl is actually like once applied to the trailer! As in, is it slippery etc, Is it oil based? Cos I like to sometimes walk down the trailer to retrieve the boat, particularly if the ramp is slippery, but don't want to discover that the trailer has become a slippery slide after having been treated with this product!

Interested to hear comments

Thanks

Dave

main point is has to be done before being put in the water for the first time
the gal coat is there as a sacrificial coating, not to stop contact of salt water with the steel underneath.

if the rust is showing through the gal all your doing is sealing the rust in with a hard coating

the environment the trailer is stored in also helps break the gal down quicker.

lawns are bad due to the constant moisture coming from the ground

I had mine stored in a garage that was quite humid as the wifes uses the clothes drier for a few hours every day and the gal reacted quite quickly on a brand name trailer

same as under heavy tarps

Hi all, newish newbie here :D

Having just bought a new boat motor & trailer was wondering what this tectyl is actually like once applied to the trailer! As in, is it slippery etc, Is it oil based? Cos I like to sometimes walk down the trailer to retrieve the boat, particularly if the ramp is slippery, but don't want to discover that the trailer has become a slippery slide after having been treated with this product!

Interested to hear comments

Thanks

Dave

Suggest Google Tectyl 506 , there is a lot of information on the Valvoline web site.

If still unsure , ring Valvoline. It's some times best to speak with the company for specific information.

I'm sure they will be happy to answer your questions.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

People think because the trailer is galvanised it won`t rust attitude. As we all should know it is how you look after your trailer and as mentioned how it is stored that will see how long it will survive the elements.

Anyone who has or is buying a new trailer should take the advice that has been given on this topic as they will be very glad they did. They will enjoy plenty of trouble free driving and and a longer life from the trailer. Yes you will have to replace bearings and do maintenance which is essential but well worth it.

Take note of Juggs comments. Not many people are aware of that. Also the advice about rust proofing the inside. Also essential for the life of the trailer.. I also speak from experience and I was very lucky that I had no issues with trailer break downs as a result and my trailer was used regularly.

Happy Days..........................