Gold in the Nepean River

Jew Stalker

Yep you read it right... GOLD!

I was taken to a spot on the Nepean today by a friend to look around for a few fish. I had heard of this spot for a while now but never knew where it was. I had been harassing my neighbour Diesel to show me where his little fishing spot and today he finally did. Upon arriving at the location I immediately realised that this is gold country and gold mining was exactly what I was going to do today. After getting set up and into for about 15 minutes I found a nice platform to work from (a plastic pallet which had been washed downstream) and scored my first nugget ever! I went about 70cm long and weighed at least 4 or 5 kg.

post-22055-0-09732200-1385273145_thumb.jpg

post-22055-0-06858500-1385272680_thumb.jpg

Not long after I caught that Diesel put his name on the board by scoring himself some gold also but in a different form and quite a bit smaller than mine. It turned out to be some sort of goldfish which I hadn't seen in person before. It was not as long or as wide as the one I caught but it was definitely some sort of carp nonetheless and did not earn him the title of "fishless again" (thought you would get a giggle out of that Scratchie).

post-22055-0-11850800-1385273093_thumb.jpg

Shortly after snavelling that one Diesel backed up with another fish but this time he knew it was a much better fish. The fish also knew he was hooked well, he went toward the nearest snag but Diesel managed to get him out and kept brining it in. Between him and the fish though was a nice patch of weed which was quite thick but it didn't phase Diesel, it just made him more determined to get through and after a tense few seconds Mr Eurocarp came through leaving it relatively open for the rest of the battle where he bought it in noce and close where I could position myself with the net to bring it on board. We both thought his one came out slightly bigger than mine also but unfortunately we didn't take a measuring device so they were both guesses but either way they were both very hefty nuggets.

post-22055-0-14778300-1385273123_thumb.jpg

The bite dropped off from this point so we decided to move on to a new location to have some fun with some bass and herring.

The water level was up a bit today and the bass were nowhere to be seen but I cleaned up on the herring scoring at least half a dozen of the little buggers on the fly gear with an elk hair caddis fly. All in all it was a fun little outing for a Sunday morning with good company and a few good fish. Thanks Diesel, I am glad I was shown this little gold mine. I am sure I will visit it again sometime for another gold mining expedition with you.

post-22055-0-71190300-1385273163_thumb.jpg

Great write up luc.

Firstly, can't believe diesel was allowed out. Secondly, you don't have to lend your catch to diesel just for a photo.

Thirdly, sorry to say "fish less again and trout scarer, but IMO they aren't really fish are they? Lol ???

Well done boys, I'm very envious of you both getting a line wet today! It's been blowing its ass off up here.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Edited by Scratchie

Well they aren't really edible fish but they are a good fish for a bit of fun which was the aim. I wanted to open up the fly rod to be honest and the river is pretty close so off to the river we went. I am pretty happy with how things are progressing on the fly gear. My casting is getting much better and I am getting them where I want them. I think that is why I was having so much fun flicking the caddis fly into the berley which was getting hammered by herring. I was hoping a bully mullet or a bass would make its way to my fly before a herring but it wasn't to be. It was a blast in freshwater today.

Let's not forget about my new pluggers mr stalkerpost-10416-0-73382100-1385277186_thumb.jpg seemed like a good idea to wear my waders until the sun came out, man those things get hot so in between bites I looked through the the pile of flood junk in the back ground, found a thong amongst other things wasn't long before a found another different colour but I'm not racist

The rowing lake at Penrith Regatta centre is a top spot for a carp bash and bass

Yep but you pretty much need to be on the dole to fish it! Access there is ridiculous.

Good fish, there are plenty of nice stretches along there for that sort of thing.

Edited by Saboo

nice write up luke :biggrinthumb: ha ha scratchie your a crack up. lmao. fishless n trout scarer.lol. gotta start calling diesel 2 thongs. fat nuggets either way boys and i been down there and isnt a easy spot to fish so 2 thongs up up boys.spotie..