Looking to buy a sp set up. Opinions?

krause

If I were to buy a new combo for sp, following fellow Raiders suggestions, 2-4kg 7ft rod, 2000 reel, 4-6lb braid. Does this sound right or could I beef it up a little? Mabey a 4-6kg rod. I don't know really. Ive never owned light gear so I havent a clue. Opinions and thoughts? Any brands that are ok (if that is allowed on the site) trying to keep it on the cheaper side and so that I could carry light sp and lures, say around a gram in weight. Any advice would be awesome.

Cheers all

value for money,

pflueger trion $100 + diawa/shimano to suit the budget.

consider, if possible take the lowest of the quality reels over the best cheap reel within the brands,ie symetre over sedona.

check the specs for bearings, construction,warranty etc at your local tackle store, although in 4 pound or less, the reel is not working hard and will not flex and wear out parts etc,

+ 4-6pound fc leader for bream and 10 for lizards.

no need to go higher, i use 2 and 3 pound, for bream and lizards and its ok, higher breaking strain in mainline and leader will get less hook ups and unless you are really sporty, this is not your salmon, bonito and king rig.

i use the above with 0.5-2g for bream and 5-10g for lizards, + vibes and occasioanlly HBs

Hey Krause,

My simple setup is a shimano Sahara 6.6 2-5kg 2500 reel to match. 6-8lb fireline. Bought it for $129 new.

Great setup, cheap, light, balanced and have played some real good fish on it and never felt like losing them. (6.6 is my preference.)

Good luck deciding!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Edited by Scratchie

Krause, the fact is if you use a 4-6kg rod you still

won't be able to throw light plastics around.

You really have to work out what you are targetting.

Hoping to catch anything will see you catch nothing.

I have caught kings to 70cm & jew to 10kg landbased on

1-3kg rod with 6lb braid. Strength of rod has very little to do

with the size of fish you can land. Using the drag properly on

a quality reel is what does count.

From what I can gather you are l/based in the Parra & Lane Cove.

1-3kg rod is fine. 2-4kg is max. Go to 7ft for extra distance from the shore.

The rod doesn't have to be super expensive but it must be graphite.

Get the best reel that you can afford. It will cast better, give less wind knots,

have a better drag & will last far longer that a cheap reel.

I have a Berkley 7ft 1-3kg dropshot matched with a small pflueger supreme xt

reel that I LOVE using. It has become a fave of mine over my WAY more expensive

outfits. You can buy that setup for under $250.00 atm & will find it cheaper

if you look hard enough. Even a Shimano catana/seinna combo for under $100.00

would be o.k.

For braid you can't beat 4lb pink fireline to start with. It has great knot strength,

isn't too expensive, casts & lasts well. It probably breaks at 10lb. I've never

been busted up on it. Quality 6lb flouro leader will complete the set up.

Cheers,

Grant.

Cheers boys, ill head down to the shops today and have a browze. Cheers for the advice. Ill definately keep to the lighter rod weight for sure, the questions were just there for the sake of learning.

Cheers, much apriciated

Hey Krause

I always keep my eye open at big W as they sometimes have some really good deals. In fact yesterday i bought a new combo for $98. Shimano Forcemaster 3-5kg 6.6 coupled with a shimano Alivio 2500 reel. I reckon thats pretty good value, cant wait to try it. Good luck, always pretty cool getting new gear, i can only equate it to chicks buying shoes.

Look spend your money on a good light rod forget 2-4kg get a 1-3kg load it with 3lb fireline crystal you be able to flick from 1/8th-1/32th any heavier you be limiting you catch to flatties witch you get over quickly get a pack of zman 2.5 grubz in bloodworm and motor oil some 1/12th heads and 1/20th heads some 4lb and 6lb flurocarbon and your on the way to catching bream

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all the opinions. Much appreciated, particularly because I have zero experience with this sort of fishing.

One last question though, what about a bait caster? The top mounted reels? What are they like vs a 1000-2000 spin reel.