Flushing Outboards While In The Water

Bracey

G'day guys

Just need some input on this issue. My father as a 21' boat with an evenrude 150hp etec and is considering getting it anti fouled and permanently berthing it at a marina. What is the best way to flush the motor. We have access to a fresh water tap. Was initially told there was a port high on the back of the motor that would have been above the water level. Then got told by a mechanic that that was only the cooling chamber but would not flush the leg and he said to use the standard ear muffs which would then be submerged.

I'm not sure how effective it would be flushing with the ear muffs under the water. The leg has to be down do run the motor. Also, we can't reach where the muffs are mounted from in the boat. Only way would be to get in the water.

Ay suggestions? Cheers, Bart

Hi, simple to flush the outboard via the fresh water flushing port at the rear so do not listen to that person that claimed what he told you. BRP recommend flushing via that port and can be done with or without running engine. All of this is explained in the owners manual.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

I was given same advice for my Mercury (OK to use the flushing port), but I recall reading somewhere to be wary if you have very high water pressure - as this may affect the water impeller which will be trying to work at the same time.