excess smoke

petdos

Hi gang,any help will appreciated,i have a 1995 -75-oil injected merc,i know two strokes are commonly smokey but this is excessive,a little hard to to start but idle is ok and throttle up is ok,compression is good any ideas would greatly appreciated,also getting oil in bottom of cowling,have put new seal on top of oil tank,thanks peter. :15:

Is this just recent or been occuring for a while?

Was it progressive or happened rather suddenly , ie it was OK one day then not the next?

Have you recently changed brands of oil ?

If just recent , occured rather suddenly & no change in oil then I would be leaning towards the oil injection system.

Geoff

Hi,its always been a lillte smokey ,i did change oil when i was up the coast a few months back as i couldn't get what i was using ,and havnt taken the boat out since,i just keep starting up in the yard to keep everything loose ,but the last couple of times the amount of smoke was unreal,next doors thought i was burning rubbish,and the oil left in the bottom of the cowl,especially when tilted up,hope that all makes sense ,thanks for getting back,peter.

Talk to Huey , he may be able to advise on a specific problem that occurs with oil injection system on that motor.

Also , Huey has a 50 / 50 synthic oil available which I understand creates very little smoke.

I've found that different oils , especially "non out board brands" which are technically OK , can produce more smoke than oil recommended by , in this case , Merc.

As for the oil in the cowl it sounds like you have a leak somewhere around the oil bottle. Give the motor a good clean down with a can of aersol degreaser then see if you can trace back the source ..

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

pretty sure mercury make specific oil injection oil for their mercury engines but saying that my mate has been running all different brands of oil over the past 4 years in his mercury 40hp oil injected 2 stroke

how did u drain the oil? u might have a leak from where u drained it which is leaking around the cowl

pretty normal for a carbed 2 stroke

your starting it up and letting it idle for a while, as your not bringing the revs up and engines is not getting up to temp your not burning off the oil

next time you start it its loaded up with oil in the crank case, dribbling out the prop and exhausts

do it a few times and it gets worse

my engine leaks fuel out the carbs when I tilt it needs I new gasket round airbox that drains back into the crankcase