NSW Laws on Sabiki (bait jigs) with 6 hooks

Linc

This came up in another topic and I’m curious to understand what is stated by the DPI a bit more.

DPI states:

Rod/ hand jigging line : 1 rod or handline with up to 6 single hooks with lures attached #

# This gear must be used by the method of hang jigging only. This line is included in the total number of lines permitted as given above.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/regulations/sw/methods

Now I assume they mean ‘hand jigging’ not ‘hang jigging’ unless that’s a new fishing term I am not aware of. But I’m keen to understand what their definition of hand jigging is, does this mean jigging with a rod while holding it in your hand or does this mean you need to actually attach the sabiki jig to a hand line? But if a handline was required they wouldn't state '1 rod or handline'

Also it mentions nothing at all about baiting the sabiki jig so I assuming it does not matter if you bait the 6 hooks or not.

Keen to hear other raiders’ interpretations of this and if anybody knows for sure?

G'day

I can't remember where I heard it, possibly here some time ago but can't find the post.

Here's where the confusion comes in

Hooks per line: 3 hooks or three gangs of hooks*.

rod/hand jigging line: 1 rod or handline with up to 6 single hooks with lures attached#.

I was under the impression that as soon as you add bait it's no longer micro jigging.

Cheers Leo

I was under the impression that as soon as you add bait it's no longer micro jigging.

Cheers Leo

Hmm perhaps that is the case if you intend to drop the rod in and leave it in a holder, but if you're holding it and 'hand jigging' then it's alright.

Victorian fisheries make it very clear "Bait jig: Up to 6 unbaited lures with hooks less than 2cm in length, attached to a line with a total rig length of up to 3m." but NSW DPI mention nothing about bait so one would assume it's OK unless they state otherwise.

Hmm perhaps that is the case if you intend to drop the rod in and leave it in a holder, but if you're holding it and 'hand jigging' then it's alright.

Victorian fisheries make it very clear "Bait jig: Up to 6 unbaited lures with hooks less than 2cm in length, attached to a line with a total rig length of up to 3m." but NSW DPI mention nothing about bait so one would assume it's OK unless they state otherwise.

I believe the rule in NSW is size 8 hook or smaller, most size eight hooks would be less than 2cm I guess.

Apparently baiting the 6 hook jig is considered a form of long lining! They are only legal to use bait free.

Does it state this anywhere on the DPI website? Where did you hear this?

I just emailed the DPI to confirm all of this once and for all - will share their response

Edited by Linc

No offense, but i don't see why you want to use the whole 6 hooks on the bait jigs!

I find it much easier (and tangle free) to cut the bait jig in half or thirds.

It doubles your chances of catching fish is one good reason... And when you work 6 days a week, you want to spend the least amount of time catching it and more of your time using it.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

It doubles your chances of catching fish is one good reason... And when you work 6 days a week, you want to spend the least amount of time catching it and more of your time using it.

Harry

Good point mate, sometimes the bait just doesn't jump on your hook and when you wake up at 4 am on your one day out of 3-4 weeks you can actually get out on the water, you don't wanna use your prime fishing time chasing yakkas :)

Even when you don't work 24/7, I hate wasting time catching bait fish. Some people love it but the highlight for me is the fish that eats them. They should bring out a 12 hook rig! That would cut my bait collecting time from 20 to 10mins!

Cheers scratchie!!!

macca02, on 11 Dec 2013 - 1:50 PM, said:

No offense, but i don't see why you want to use the whole 6 hooks on the bait jigs!

I find it much easier (and tangle free) to cut the bait jig in half or thirds.

I found the same using 3 hooks.

Others have suggested 6 or more is better but if you take into account total turn around time , ie catch , release , untangeling or releasing loose hooks that may get caught on some part of the boat , more time is spent with the line out of the water therefore , using 3 hooks can catch the same or more than 6 hooks over a given period of time.

Geoff

I guess preference on using 6 or 3 hooks is up to the individual, what I really want to know if what exactly is legal.

I received a reply to my email saying they've passed my query onto the relevant people who can help so I'm hoping for a response in the next day or so.

I guess preference on using 6 or 3 hooks is up to the individual, what I really want to know if what exactly is legal.

I received a reply to my email saying they've passed my query onto the relevant people who can help so I'm hoping for a response in the next day or so.

That will be interesting to hear.

Cheers Leo

Even when you don't work 24/7, I hate wasting time catching bait fish. Some people love it but the highlight for me is the fish that eats them. They should bring out a 12 hook rig! That would cut my bait collecting time from 20 to 10mins!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hahahahaha 12 hook rig, I love it, I'm gonna go one better and join 3 end to end and name it the "yakka long line"

Harry

Hahahahaha 12 hook rig, I love it, I'm gonna go one better and join 3 end to end and name it the "yakka long line"

Harry

hooking onto 9 or 10 yakkas at the same time would be like fighting a small kingy :) Could be the next best small game fishing technique :P

Number of hooks per line

3 hooks or three gangs of hooks *

Rod/ hand jigging line

1 rod or handline with up to 6 single hooks with lures attached #

* A gang of hooks should have no more than 5 hooks. No more than 3 trebles attached to a lure.

# This gear must be used by the method of hang jigging only. This line is included in the total number of lines permitted as given above.

Self explanatory really.

Number of hooks per line

Rod/ hand jigging line

* A gang of hooks should have no more than 5 hooks. No more than 3 trebles attached to a lure.

Self explanatory really.

Just as I thought

Cheers Leo

Number of hooks per line

Rod/ hand jigging line

Self explanatory really.

How is that self explanatory? It doesn't state if the 6 hooks can have bait added to them or not. And what exactly is 'hang / hand jigging'? Is it using a handline or just jigging by hand with a rod?