Leader size for bass

LeoB

Hi Leo

I think you'd be wise to use both stronger fireline and leader. WHen bass hit, they hit hard & immediately head back towards the snag they had just left.

I was using 12lb braid on the weekend and because I had 20lb on (from an unsuccessful Kingie outing .....) I just left it on and had no difficulty subduing big fat bass to 45cm. I seriously think you really should have a minimum of 10lb for Braid and about 15lb as leader!! Mine was fairly short - about 1m+ ......

Good luck!! Look forward to your report!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Topwater cicadas worked for me on Sun, Leo - they have a bit of weight to them, so easier to toss, too on the 15lb outfit. Under trees, into the deep shadows .... you don't always have to cast far - just deep under the trees. ;)

Good luck.

Roberta

Hey Leo,

I use 4lb braid on all my spin gear no worries for bass. I find the longer more accurate casts you can do the better success. leader wise 8lb and 10lb fluoro for divers and spinnerbaits and 10lb mono for surface lures.

If you want a few lure suggestions, tiemco soft shell cicadas are my favourite along with the rest of their cicada range!

....I use 4lb braid on all my spin gear no worries for bass.......

WOW!! That's really light, for wild bass? More structure along the banks - I know Scotty was busted off with a whopper on Sun - not even sure what braid he had on!! Do you always go that light??

How about in small systems where it isn't so much the length of the cast but getting 'the money shot' up under the trees?? Most of my casts were shorter than 4m and a lot of fallen timber on the edges for them to hide in!! ;)

Plus .... you are WAY more experienced at it than me! :074:

Yep, gotta love the soft shells! :D
cheers
Roberta

Was chucking a Fish Arrow Cover Cicada (softie with a single hook that makes it virtually snag proof!) around this afternoon shore based and got some good bream hits - couldn't find the hook tho. Needs a trailing one, methinks!

Hey Leo, 

I use 4lb braid on all my spin gear no worries for bass. I find the longer more accurate casts you can do the better success. leader wise 8lb and 10lb fluoro for divers and spinnerbaits and 10lb mono for surface lures.

If you want a few lure suggestions, tiemco soft shell cicadas are my favourite along with the rest of their cicada range! 

My 4lb setup is my favourite, I might stick to it. It snaps closer to 7.5lb. So I might stick with it.

Cheers Leo

I find if your knots are right it's more the leader that is the issue and within the first 10 seconds you will know if you will be done! But "touch wood" I have not had any issues with 4lb, surprisingly 3lb I have had heaps. Amazing what 1lb does..... To me at least.

The weedless surface lure is an awesome option lets you fish some knarly places. When using the weedless I go 8-10lb braid but have still landed fish in Lillie's with 4lb (sheer luck)

2500 size reel is also very helpful when bassing in rivers. Great line retrieval rate!

6lb mono no leader only just starting to really get into bass fishing, find myself getting up two hrs earlier for work just to have a flick . Then you have the choice of lures really loving my poppers ATM , thinking maybe I've got a problem?, doesn't help when mates send you pics like this

57 cm penrith weir (wow)

post-10416-0-15498300-1387447211_thumb.jpg

post-10416-0-76300200-1387447273_thumb.jpg

Edited by diesel

Hmmmm, Just a thought ...... whilst enjoying the 'sport' of lighter gear - don't forget that with lighter line/leader, the fish will be 'fought for longer' than if using a stronger line & leader as it will take longer to bring the fish to the boat/yakl They may not survive a tough fight, even tho you may put them back alive.

Also, if it busts off ....... the hooks are likely to stay in it's mouth - unlike salt water, they don't rust in fresh water. They may not be able feed, particularly if they take the lure right down (which is common with Cicada style lures.) It would be a shame to see the bigger fish die in that manner. :1crybaby:

On our last walk we both chucked 4lb/8lb combo's but I've seen Coyote chuck 2lb regularly too. I agree with bass boy accuracy of cast and getting the bite is crucial. When dam fishing ( and pinging spinners deep in the timber I think we used 8lb/12lb combos. Only ever use 2500's for bassing.

• 3 weeks later...