More Salmon

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

Went out again this morning, launching from Tunks Park at around 7.45 and straight out to the Heads where my friends were schooling up and mooching on surface ????

Were'nt the little blighters spooky today - they wouldn't touch Raiders, they completely dismissed "eyes" and any soft thing I threw at them. Any change in engine revs put them down, even a fly line landing with a bit more splash than usual put them off.

I eventually managed to pull two out of the pack with some nondescript lure dredged up from the bottom of my tackle box. I must admit, whilst I could not get them interested in fly or plastic, there was a bloke swoffing who managed one hook-up we witnessed and another bloke throwing plastics we saw get two.

Due to their timidity we went south looking for the shoal reported by Rekless last night, but it wasn't there. The Cap'n and I managed to find a small school hanging off North Maroubra and started throwing lures and fly at this lot. They were even more spooked than the harbour schools but the Cap'n did manage to hook-up on a pike before our persistence on lures paid off with one good salmon a piece from the school.

There was a lot more bird life, albeit just sitting, offshore than I've seen over the past couple of weeks, so hopefully the fish are there but waiting for the right conditions before they start big-time. Interestingly enough, stomach contents were empty but they must be feeding on something as they were all fat and healthy fish. There wasn't even any digested whitebait paste in their stomachs.

Guest bluecod
Perhaps they will move into the harbour soon.

62939[/snapback]

Lots of boats out for a Friday Ken. The way they were spooking indicated these fish were already boat shy and that's before the weekend.

I think next trip will be on the Pittwater/BB. There's a few salmon spots inside Pittwater that ensure you can always get out of the wind if it comes up.

Guest bluecod
Good to see some stress release happening George.  :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ken

62988[/snapback]

Just following Doctor's orders Ken :biggrin2:

Besides, accumulated leave is no good to you if your not around to enjoy it :1prop:

Gidday blue cod ,

well at least you got to pick up the two fish!!,I am surprised to hear about the fish I saw at clovelly on thursday had dissapeared.That is a shit load of salmon to just up and leave!,you say the fish were just mooching on the surface,do you think that they were actually feeding or are they up to some sort of mass pro creation?.

Certainly some of the school i saw seemed to be feeding a bit,but the majority were just cruising.

Did you try any fishair flys on them ?ie - No 8 hooks with about four strands hanging off it?.

Simon

Guest bluecod
Gidday blue cod ,

well at least you got to pick up the two fish!!,I am surprised to hear about the fish I saw at clovelly on thursday had dissapeared.That is a shit load of salmon to just up and leave!,you say the fish were just mooching on the surface,do you think that they were actually feeding or are they up to some sort of mass  pro creation?.

Certainly some of the  school i saw seemed  to be feeding a bit,but the majority were just  cruising.

Did you  try any fishair flys on them ?ie - No 8 hooks with about four strands hanging off it?.

Simon

62996[/snapback]

Simon,

Whilst they seemed to be feeding, holding in a typical feeding pattern and slurping something off the surface, empty stomach's indicated they weren't. I think you may have the right idea about some sort of ritual thing they were going through - all four fish we caught were male and even though they were nice and fat, they didn't seem to be ready to breed [no milt]. I don't think they were already spent as they were in top nick.

Didn't try any Fishair flies on them as I didn't have any with me.

I saw them like this a few years ago off Port Hacking and they stayed in that mood for about a week before they came on the chew.