Motor Hours.........

hatheadheaven

G'day Raiders,

Aftyer years of land based flicking, I have decided to look for a 2nd hand boat around the $10k mark. It will be a 4.5 to 5m ally with 30-60 HP, which should get me a reasonable ride.

I have noticed that most boats in that range have upwards of 150-180 hours on the motor. How many hours is too many? How many hours can be expected out of a motor before it is junk or needs a rebuild?

Like all things mechanical, I know it depends on size of the motor, how it is looked after, how it is used, even the brand etc etc, but would like some of the experienced boaters' opinions on what amount of hours they would consider too many for a motor.

I know I can't expect everything to be perfect for $10k, but don't want to spend that amount and be up for a few more thousand for a new motor a few months later.

I also know hours alone don't signify a good or bad motor, as a well looked after 150 hour model can be better than a poorly looked after 50 hour model. A regular service history would obviously be someting to look for, but what would you consider "regular"?

Any tips would be appreciated :thumbup:

Cheers

Simon

How long is a piece of string :biggrin2:

150 hours is not a lot of hours of all. Provided the motor has been serviced regularly & properly & flushed after every trip there should not be a problem.

My original Johnson 60HP 2 stroke had just over 900 hours when I sold it for a 70HP engine & it was still running fine. It was looked after & serviced regularly & most important of the lot I think it was used very regularly.

If the owner gets it done regularly by an authorised brand mechanic I would be after the log book.

At work we've seen 2 strokes go for over 2000 hours, but we've seen them let go at under 300 too.

The one that went for 2000 was a pro's motor, and was used every day and treated like a god. The one that died at 300 was a 5 times a year fisho.

We've had Pro's take some 4 strokes to over 3500 hours with out any major issues.

Like whats been said, regular use and serivicing is the key.

Chris

Guest hottuna
At work we've seen 2 strokes go for over 2000 hours, but we've seen them let go at under 300 too.

The one that went for 2000 was a pro's motor, and was used every day and treated like a god. The one that died at 300 was a 5 times a year fisho.

We've had Pro's take some 4 strokes to over 3500 hours with out any major issues.

Like whats been said, regular use and serivicing is the key.

Chris

63033[/snapback]

Totally argree, hottunas now got 800+ hrs and i got her 4years ago with only 20hrs...(yes i love my fishing :1naughty: ), shes serviced often (by myself) and to this day ive NEVER (touchwood) needed a tow. 150hrs is nothing! About the same a car thats done 15000kms

Dan

Totally argree, hottunas now got 800+ hrs and i got her 4years ago with only 20hrs...(yes i love my fishing :1naughty: ),

63051[/snapback]

:1yikes: that's a lot of fishing Dan!

Thanks for the tips guys :1clap: Great to see you can get some big hours out of a motor, as long as you look after it....

Cheers

Simon

You need to get out more Frank, 3hrs a year is just not enough :074:  :074:

63116[/snapback]

Yeah Darryl I just realised what I had typed I cant spell BOAT AND HAVE OWNED IT FOR 3 YEARS NOT 32 HAD 2 VIRISIS IN THE COM HAD A FARE BIT ON MY MIND GETTING THEM OUT WITH 3 SCANS RUNNING :074::05:

Edited by WetPatch

My boat is 5 years old and has about 250 hrs on a 2 stroke Merc. Since I have had it for two years I have put about 130 of those hours on.

Motor is serviced every 50 hours (I keep the log books up to date)

Fresh water flushed after each trip out, disconnect the fuel line and let her flush until she runs out of fuel.

Wash her down with soapy water and a hose off

Give the inside a light spray

I leave the motor down when not in use.

May add a touch of grease to the exposed working parts if needed (say every 3 months)

I keep the boat under cover, garage.

Note, I know nothing about motors, but I believe if the motor looks as though its been looked after and has log books, then it should be OK. If it were beaten up, scratched, chipped then I'd say it might have had a hard life.

My motor still looks like new and generally fires up first or second turn of the key. Runs fine and has given me no problems. I have also received good advice from Fishraiders posts.