Offshore on the northern beaches

JET01

I went out in a mate boat at 3am from roseville, headed over to the northern beaches to find a reef his mate had fished successfully on previous occasions.

Didnt have much luck so moved quite a few times over the next few ours.

It now getting close to 12 and all the drop offs were fishing in the 50m range werent producing fish, so we moved to a patch of reef we found in about 35m and reanchored.

The boys out there baits down and i flicked my plastic over the side... I only had a 5/8oz head on so it seemed to take for ever to get the bottom.

A few casts later i was on! I hadnt had a fish all day, not even a sargeant baker so i was pretty excited that this was pulling so hard. My 15-30lb terez was buckled over and id lose the odd bit if line of the ci4 4000. Fishing 20lb and 20lb leader, i was able to get this fish into the boat pretty quickly. The trag had absolutely smashed the 7" lime tiger jerk shad.

Initially i thought it was a mulloway, but after closer inspection realised it was a massive trag. Going 74cm!

Shortly after putting my fish in the esky my mate caught another on bait that was 2cm bigger.

As Id never caught a trag before i thought id check the fishraider record, to my surprise, it seems as though ive got the lure record, and if my mate was a raider he'd have the bait record.

So id like to put this forward for the catch of the month and the fishraider lure record.

post-12306-0-02704900-1388181885_thumb.jpg