New Kayak

stormy

Just sold my Prowler Elite 4.5m, which was one fantastic kayak, and bought a Hobie Outback. Actually, my mate and I bought one each at the same time and got a good deal. Reason for selling, was the fact I have a neck and shoulder injury, making paddling a bit painful for me.

Anyway, we maidened the yaks last Friday and I was very impressed with the rudder authority and ease of "pedalling" as well as the benefit of being able to have both hands free for casting and winding, etc.

Got my first couple of bream on lures, a small metal blade doing the damage. Also a couple of nice flathead on the blade and a tailer on a SP. They really chop the plastics up and after one or two tailer, you can toss the plastic. Looking forward to some more trips and this coming Friday we will be fishing Cowan Creek. Happy with the new Hobie, although it certainly doesn't paddle as well as the Prowler.

post-11324-0-59397100-1388533355_thumb.jpg

Well done, Stormy - looks like you & your mate had a fantastic day out on the water!! Congrats on the purchase and the blooding of the yak!

I am sure you will get many hours of fun fishing in your new yaks! Yep, you can pedal the yak ALL DAY ..... without feeling stressed or tired (unless going against big current and/or wind.)

Just a few hints tho -

1) when fishing in snaggy territory (like in the pic) don't pedal hard or deep - just take it slowly ...... you can just 'flutter' the pedals at almost full stretch & continue forward - cos if you ram any underwater structure at speed, you will bend the steel post of the fins.

2) Don't start off 'at speed' ..... do the first 4-6 strokes 'gently' then work up to the faster pace.

3) If you want to turn 'faster' ..... lean in to the turn (carefully, once you have established your 'lean factor') - you can also use the 'flutter' technique in No 1 to assist in a tighter turn.

4) Use your net as a 'paddle' to slow you down or make a faster turn if required (instead of getting the paddle out.)

5) Make a stakeout pole from a thick old fibreglass rod or ski pole - it is invaluable in the shallows. I put mine thru one side of the 'done up' paddle holder. It sits there when not in use, & just stand it up & ram it into the sand when needed.

6) Rinse the mirage drive in fresh water after every trip & spray it with Lanox - everywhere! The chain, the axle, all the moving parts & edges .... it will prolong it's life, bigtime.

7) every now & then, spray the whole yak with Amourall and rub it in - it helps it glide thru the water. (And around the rubber ring of the centre hatch to keep it supple)

8) HAVE FUN!!

cheerio

Roberta

In the lead, as always, H :) No fishy pics. Mark did report back that he enjoyed my flathead fillets and bream. I had them in a clean bucket and he dropped his sandy shoes in there, so I said, 'enjoy the fish'.

post-11324-0-22015700-1388539277_thumb.jpg

Gee, fish never encounter sand in their environment do they. A bit fussy mate. Comes from catching more fish than you know what to do with I think.

When are you bringing your knives over for sharpening?

Cheers

Paikea

Yes, but the fish were already filleted and skinned. Don't like sand in the flesh when I bite into a piece of fish. Catch up soon. Bring you over some fillets I have accidentally dropped in the sand :)