Sinkers

Fab1

If you can scratch it with your finger its soft lead good for smaller sinkers and jigs.but basicly if its lead its good if you want to unload a bag let me know my lead for jig heads is getting low

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, how did you end up with that, solid effort! I use what ever i can, usually lost sinkers that I find on the rocks, supplemented with spare lead that i have acess to. Save the environment and get free sinkers at the same time! :banana:

Is it just a size thing for your jig head mould? I worked in a tyre shop long ago - we used to trim small bits off wheel weights sometimes to get wheel balances exact just using sidecutters (its really easy)

Tyre balances are actually an alloy, not 100% lead and they are mixed with something highly toxic when heated up. if you do melt tyre weights make sure you do it outside (not in the shed). And yeah they are a pain to work with as they have a much higher melting point and set a lot harder.

Tyre balances are actually an alloy, not 100% lead and they are mixed with something highly toxic when heated up. if you do melt tyre weights make sure you do it outside (not in the shed). And yeah they are a pain to work with as they have a much higher melting point and set a lot harder.

100% correct

I agree definitely protect yourself appropriately. Do it outside and on gravel not concrete because if you spill it runs fast.

As for workability take your word for it as I haven't attempted any fine jobs. In the pic I was making ballast for a race car project however it melted down really easily and I could scoop it out with the ladle no probs.

I have some left over and was (one day when I get around to it lol) going to attempt a few Downrigger bombs.

How do you think I'll go with that? Love this forum always learning lol :)

I dont know if how I make sinkers is the same as everyone else. My set up is very different to the one above and uses a butane cooking stove. But it works, so yer, I solve the above problems by;

If the lead is hardening in the injection point before the mold is full, then heat the mold. Dont go to or past the melting temp for the obvious reason that it wont harden any time fast. I guess you could also expand the diameter of the injection hole with a bore drill. If you do heat the mold, dont pick it up. I did that and screwed over my hand!

As for inconveinient alloys, i mix and match. I use scrap lead that a family member has and discarded sinkers that i find/buy. The preowned sinkers melt down into good mix, as they were sinkers before, they just produce lots of scrap float. The other scrap lead i use was pulled from work sites in the 80's, before OHS and such existed. Some is roofing lead and is really soft, other stuff is really brittle. I tend to mix the two and they form something in between ductile and brittle that is useable. This is based on the fact that the alloy additives coexist and dont reacct. I always do a small test batch to make sure they dont create any suspicious by-products. And alway make them in the open on a windy day, never on a still day.

And thats what i do, so yer...

Cheers

If the lead is hardening in the injection point before the mold is full, then heat the mold. Dont go to or past the melting temp for the obvious reason that it wont harden any time fast. I guess you could also expand the diameter of the injection hole with a bore drill. If you do heat the mold, dont pick it up.

yeah i do all that. cant bore the hole out on the melting pot cause it shoots to much in and dosent fill the jig properly.if i was using standard doit molds it wouldn't be a prob but with the pro molds the poring hole is much smaller to make end cleaning easyer so only can use soft lead.