It's a Bassathon!

Dave_

G'day Raiders,

What an awesome sesh we just had on the Bass! The young bloke asked if we could go for a cast this arvo and I don't need much convincing so we headed down to one of our favourite Bass holes in the Hunter River where I live only to find that we couldn't access our spot due to huge fallen trees from a recent flood blocking the track in there.

We decided to walk the banks down further and found a likely looking spot we've never fished before with a newly fallen tree across most of the river. It was about 6 30pm by this time and the cicadas were singing. I lost my last SSC the other week so I tied on a Taylor Made Surface Breaker and the young fella went with the $6 imitation jitterbug from Big W.

First 4 casts for 4 huge hits, one of which sent the surface breaker cartwheeling through the air but frustratingly no hook up. Next cast I landed a fat 30cm ish fish and then it was on. Every cast producing an explosive hit. Just as the young bloke was asking if the cheap lure would do the job it got the biggest hit yet. After a frantic battle, to my amazement a cracking 42cm Bass was landed, a PB for the young fella and a solid wild Bass in anyone's books. He was pumped. Up the Big dub special!

Both lures continued to get hammered and we lost count at 20 or so fish. Only one fish came in under 30cm with most between 32 and 35cm. I haven't sent them this aggressive in years, some were jumping out like barra trying to shake the hooks which I've never seen before and I seen a Bass attack a Carp that was twice it's size, unreal. We left them biting when we couldn't see a thing anymore.

Apologies for the crappy pics, they were taken on my phone and we were rushing to get our lures back in the water!

post-32123-0-68599000-1388837725_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-85742100-1388837760_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-12713600-1388837786_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-30305300-1388837840_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-76495100-1388837865_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-75136400-1388837890_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-29993900-1388837924_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-05478200-1388837986_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-04293500-1388838008_thumb.jpg

Some terrific fish there mate. Congrats to you both. Bass on surface lures ... crackin' fun!

How did the two lures hold up to the session? I have looked at the Surface Breakers on numerous occasions and thought the bib looked too flimsy for bass so I stuck with the Halco Night Crawler and the jitterbugs.

Cheers

Hodgey

Some terrific fish there mate. Congrats to you both. Bass on surface lures ... crackin' fun!

How did the two lures hold up to the session? I have looked at the Surface Breakers on numerous occasions and thought the bib looked too flimsy for bass so I stuck with the Halco Night Crawler and the jitterbugs.

Cheers

Hodgey

Cheers mate it was one of the best Bass sessions I've had in a long time.

As far as the lures go, the only thing that's ever happened to any of my Taylor Mades is small cracks in the paint. The huge bib does look flimsy but is surprisingly durable. I've had a Basscada stuck between 2 rocks and the bib pulled through so they have a bit of flex and it's only screwed on so I think you can change them. Only thing is they are aren't the best casting lure due to the bib and they are light as they're timber. Deadly action Bass love and and they get more hits than a SSC on the retrieve.

The Big W lure i think is called the Billabong Bug and it's hard plastic with a steel bib so it's pretty tough and caught just as many as the surface breaker and the biggest fish as well. All I ever do is just upgrade the hooks and split rings on those cheaper lures.

Cheers

Dave

Mate, your killing it on the bass! And congrats to the mrs as well on her great fish. Where abouts in the hunter are you fishing (general area) if you don't mind me asking. I was throwing a few today at eagleton. Never been there before and was only there to eat lunch but what do you know there was a rod in the car and lures!

Well done mate!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers Scratchie. I've never been to eagleton either mate but I'm guessing from where it is it must be brackish water there? Haha I'm the same, I'll fish anywhere there's water!

Mate I'm all the way up in Muswellbrook and this spot is literally 5 minutes out of town. Pretty much every spot I've fished between Aberdeen and Denman this Summer has produced Bass to 30cm but I've been on the hunt for some big cranky ones and I've finally found 'em!

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Scratchie. I've never been to eagleton either mate but I'm guessing from where it is it must be brackish water there? Haha I'm the same, I'll fish anywhere there's water!

Mate I'm all the way up in Muswellbrook and this spot is literally 5 minutes out of town. Pretty much every spot I've fished between Aberdeen and Denman this Summer has produced Bass to 30cm but I've been on the hunt for some big cranky ones and I've finally found 'em!

Cheers

Dave

Yeah that's a bit far for me unless the young fellas are playing league! If the do play that way this year I'm bringing a rod and will send you a pm!