Middle Harbour King

mike2153

So after a failure of a last session on Thursday afternoon in the harbour when i lost a decent king and forgot to bring more gear i was hungry to get back out first chance and land that first king in my boat.

Launched at Tunks at 5 and headed straight out for some squid, after picking up a nice big green eye he went straight on the downrigger and started working middle harbour, had some really nice marks come up on the sounder and was bringing the squid straight through them, even saw what looked to be a fish chasing the squid on the sounder, (came from 10foot down to 30 and stayed at the same depth as the bomb) so after getting sick of a nice untouched live squid i pulled him in and took him home for dinner.

Chucked a jig on and started working over some of the fish i had sounded up, and within 3minutes i was on.

After a nice fight and a very messy landing since my net had tangled in one of my other rods and had noone else on board to untangle it he was in the boat.

Then went to measure the fish as it was touch and go as to whether it was legal and found that my tape had gone missing out of the boat which is a mystery so back in he went, I reckon it was around the 60-65cm mark.

All in all i was oretty stoked i had been trying to land the first King by myself for a while and i did it. Ive caught a few before but when you put yourself onto the fish its completly different feeling.

Ill be back out there again next weekend to find the 1m king.

Cheers, Mick

post-32602-0-71367300-1388910870_thumb.jpg

Mate I got the squid at grotto point, but what I have learnt from my little experience squidding is that they are anywhere and everywhere where there is rocks,weed and clean water so just about anywhere along the coastline in the harbour, just make sure that your squid jig is the right size to stay just above the rocks and weed, give it a few twitches and let it sink back down, just play around with the jigs really until you find what works, the other day I was just drifting some weed beds left the rod in the holder till it went off and got 8 squid in about an hour. Once you get a couple you get your confidence up and relise they really that hard to catch, oh also buy some cheap jigs from some if the bigger fishing department stores I got 5 for $15 the other day and use these to work out a couple of spots then use the more expensive ones that way you don't really care of you loose one or two