How to christen a yak

whitewash

Hey guys after weeks of uming and arring I finnaly narrowed my search down to 3 in my area so I went out and Sussed all three out and by 3pm I had just enough time to get out for a quick paddle before It was time to pick up the mrs. I put in at the Greys point boat ramp and headded to the far bank for a quick throw after a cast in each direction I decided to to take my new yak for a paddle and to change my jig head to somthing a bit heavier so when I trolled it , it would be down in any fishes face.

After headding 400m up stream i was starting to run out of time so I rounded a channel marker and started to head back.

I got a hit and it pulled the rod from the holder and straight into my hand. But when I striked nothing.....

So I continued back to the car and just when I turned towards the beach next to the ramp and bang I was on he took it and ran after a short fight I had him along side and I was wishing I had a net of some kind but I jus placed my hand under him and he just sat there calm as can be so i put him in and he was kicking like crazy. He was a 45cm flathead.

Got to the station just in time to pick the mrs up.

And I'll be headding out bright and early tomorrow morning.

Tight lines

The yak I went with is called a serria angler I got it for $360 from a bloke in minto. I now wish I had gotten somthing a bit longer and a bit quicker, but it gets me out there and I'm catching fish....

I got a 40cm Taylor with a z-man paddle tail on the troll just out from the flats at Greys point it was good fun.

Hoping to get out to the oyster racks in woolooware bay to chase some bream next.

G'day Whitewash,

Good to see you getting among them from the get go. I've got the Sierra Angler as well. It's my first yak and while I can appreciate the performance advantages of bigger and somewhat more expensive yaks, I think the Angler is a good entry level job. Have a look at the pics in the Members Kayaks section for some ideas for pimping the li'l bugger.

I was out on the Georges this morning and had my gulp 3" lures torn to shreds by chopper tailor. I just couldn't get a hook to set. I was going to change over to a blade when the wind started picking up and I looked at my watch and realised it was nearly time I was expected home, so I had to leave 'em chomping.

I got lucky. I saw a boat ramp at Connel's Point on Google Earth. It wasn't listed as public, but I thought I'd take a punt and check it out. Turned out it was the Connel's Point Sailing Club's ramp. There's a gate that's locked overnight, but yesterday morning at 5.30 it was open and a van was parked alongside. I figured a member must be around. So I drove in and launched from there, careful to park only in the designated area.

When I got back at 9.30, no one approached me, so I loaded up the car and headed home. I think as long as you don't stay too long, you should be able to use it occasionally without challenge. Might pay to become a member, so you can say you "pay your dues".