Muchconfused

aceace

Hey guys, im relatively new to fishing and i have a few questions which i was hoping that you guys could answer for me. Firstly, is there anything wrong with using a 40lb braid line to catch like 2lb fish. Also whats is the point of using those leader things. Thanks :)

Hi ace,

Firstly your question poses many questions! If you are relatively new to fishing, you've found the right place here on FR.

My suggestion would be to read as many posts as you can and use the search function to browse whatever question you have. There is a wealth of info on this site and can make for very useful tips and techniques.

Once you have a target fish in mind, read up and spend some time chasing that species. Flathead are a good starting point and there will be plenty of bycatch as well.

Good luck and look forward to reading your posts.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Lol.. In my opinion using 40lb line to drag in a 2 lb fish kinda defeats the purpose... Might as well use a net... :)

But hey if catching bream on tuna gear gives you fun I guess I got got no right to stop you... It's kinda not fair though... Poor fish got no chance once you hook up,,, you end up skull dragging them outta the water.

About the leader, well I can't tell you much except for the fact that I never use them.... I run my line straight to the hook, possibly with or without a sinker and swivel, depending on how strong the current is, if I can get away with it I will use no sinkers whatsoever...

I ain no professional or anything I just fish for fun.. It's all fun and experience in the end.

as a general rule when bottom bashing outside i fish 15kg braid and use lighter leader / sinker weight as required but if fishing inside i tone down too 3 or 4 kg, unless targeting kings then its 15 kg again

Edited by kikila

Hey guys, im relatively new to fishing and i have a few questions which i was hoping that you guys could answer for me. Firstly, is there anything wrong with using a 40lb braid line to catch like 2lb fish. Also whats is the point of using those leader things. Thanks :)

Hi Ace,

The goal of fishing, is to ultimately trick the fish into taking your lure\bait. To achieve this, your lure\bait needs to be as natural looking as it possibly can be. If you use a much lighter setup, say 6lb instead of 40lb, you are guaranteed to get more hits purely cause the lure\bait will flow much more naturally in the water.

The point of having FC (flurocarbon leader) clear leader, is so that the line does not show in the water, it almost looks invisible under water, as opposed to using your... say fluro yellow line as a leader possibly spooking the fish.

Good luck.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

FlourocarbonLeader is (almost) invisible in the water especially compared to braid. Leader also adds a shock absorber to braid that doesn't stretch. You could probably catch fish on a piece of electrical wire if you wanted to and while there's nothing wrong with stronger lines it seems the lighter you go the more hits you'll get and more sensitivity you'll feel. If you are lure fishing I'd think that heavier line would scare most finicky small fish well before the lure got near them. I fish 4 pound main and 2 pound leader for bream. Bigger fish and by catch just take a lot longer to land. Fishing mags and forums always do articles/posts on this stuff for more info.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Can you use 40lb braid to catch a 2lb fish? Answer is nothing is stopping you.

Fishing is a sport that requires a little spending to get the ball rolling. If braid and leaders are to expensive, you can always just use a mono line and snip a bit off the mainline and use it as a leader just like I used to when I was a kid. Still catches fish, and probably no difference in deeper water where it's darker, just lacking a little abrasive resistance that flourocarbon has.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...