Good fun on "light gear"

VBCB

Work work more work, no days off, when the weather allowed me a bit of rest, and ultimately a bit of fishing, for the first time this year.

Went down the local ledge yesterday in the middle of the arvo, a little bit of action here and there but nothing really interesting when a decent bust off happens in front of me.

My popper was rigged, cast 15 m behind the school of garies, 1,2,3 pops bang !

Fish is on, puts on a hell of a fight as usual, 30 lb braid and 30 lb leader land based is always a bit tricky, but the odds were with me this time...

81 cm of a healthy little king, always a pleasure !

post-30692-0-06881500-1389152887_thumb.jpg

Edited by T.C

Good work mate. Off the rocks I run a similar outfit, 30lb braid and FC leader...abit like my favourite cereal...

Not to heavy, not to light... It's just right.

Nice looking popper , what brand is it ?

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Looks like one of the Rapala poppers, I bought a couple on weekend very similar

Good work mate. Off the rocks I run a similar outfit, 30lb braid and FC leader...abit like my favourite cereal...

Not to heavy, not to light... It's just right.

Nice looking popper , what brand is it ?

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is..

It's a Tackle house FEED POPPER 130mm, originally designed for tuna but good allrounder I would say :)

I'm surprised the 30lb held up, good on you.

It was more rigged for bonnies or rats to be frank, that fish took multiple wrong decisions I'd say ! hahaha Not gonna complain. for once the odds were with me :)

Very nice!! I was about to say it was a tackle house popper haha

Hey I have a question about playing kings when you're a bit outgunned. Do you let them run? Or lock up the drag?

The eternal dilemma ! Mate after LOTS of failures and a few successes I'd say there is no right or wrong answer. In that instance locking drag with 30 lb leader would have been a fatal mistake I can guarantee that... I'd favour a light drag / open bail arm when needed rather than a lock drag. Lock drag should be kept for very very very dirty places when you fish 100+ lb, or for the end of a long fight when the fish is already fairly cooked. --IMO-- Generally speaking from the rocks I'd say keep a 5 kg drag pressure or less with spin outfits even though you are using 100lb tippet and 6/7/8 kg when using 24kg overhead outfits and 100lb + leader. It's just my personal opinion, up to you what suits you the best ;)

Edited by T.C

When I say lock drag the super dirty places, I mean the places where you know you'll get buried if you leave the fish a chance to reach multiple structures. Funnily 3 weeks ago I did this, lost my balance while walking back and nearly got dragged in (for real)... After 30 seconds the 120 lb leader exploded at the first bit of structure it touched ! ;)

What would have happened if I had a lighter drag ? Well the past experiences on that spot proved me that I would have been buried, so try your best, but you'll have to accept disappointments at this game, no 100 % right or 100 % wrong ! To give you an idea and quantify I'd say that landing 40 % of your LBG kings is already a super goal, and if you reach it you'll be a guru ;)

Edited by T.C

When I say lock drag the super dirty places, I mean the places where you know you'll get buried if you leave the fish a chance to reach multiple structures. Funnily 3 weeks ago I did this, lost my balance while walking back and nearly got dragged in (for real)... After 30 seconds the 120 lb leader exploded at the first bit of structure it touched ! ;)

What would have happened if I had a lighter drag ? Well the past experiences on that spot proved me that I would have been buried, so try your best, but you'll have to accept disappointments at this game, no 100 % right or 100 % wrong ! To give you an idea and quantify I'd say that landing 40 % of your LBG kings is already a super goal, and if you reach it you'll be a guru ;)

And you caught it using a popper!

Mate you must be a pro! or you know what you're doing.

I recently bought a saragossa 14000 for LBG kings - yet to purchase a rod. Do you have any suggestions, I want to go off the stones and throw stick and poppers and maybe livies too. Weather, lack of balls, lack of time and lack of motivation or skill slowed me down in the quest. And i guess without a rod doesnt help. So far i have tried 30lb on stradic 5000 but havent seen a king follow or bite or anything. LOL. Funny but i'm in the persistance space and hopefully i can get a king of LBG soon

I have high hopes for the sara, jigging, trolling for tuna and other big pelagics - but need a boat and save for a home loan, new job to earn more etc etc etc.

Ah - such as life :)

Tightlines

And you caught it using a popper!

Mate you must be a pro! or you know what you're doing.

I recently bought a saragossa 14000 for LBG kings - yet to purchase a rod. Do you have any suggestions, I want to go off the stones and throw stick and poppers and maybe livies too. Weather, lack of balls, lack of time and lack of motivation or skill slowed me down in the quest. And i guess without a rod doesnt help. So far i have tried 30lb on stradic 5000 but havent seen a king follow or bite or anything. LOL. Funny but i'm in the persistance space and hopefully i can get a king of LBG soon

I have high hopes for the sara, jigging, trolling for tuna and other big pelagics - but need a boat and save for a home loan, new job to earn more etc etc etc.

Ah - such as life :)

Tightlines

Why don't you go down to port kembla to practice your techniques on the little ones hanging around the breakwall? Good spot for em.