Braid to braid knot

Gatte

G'day raiders!

Hope the holidays were kind to everyone.

Had a quick question regarding braid and the best knot for joining it together.

Over the course of 12 months fishing and finding snags and losing line I'm running low on line, particularly tossing metal lures in the surf -_-

I have 100m or so left of the braid that has already been spooled onto the real and I was looking for a good strong braid to braid knot to add it to the reel.

15lb Finns braid going on a Shimano Saraha 4000 reel if it makes any difference..,

Any help is greatly appreciated

Gatts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly what you are after but if you had a spare spool you could top the existing braid with mono using an FG knot then reverse it back on to the spare to use the last of the braid and then start afresh when it's spent.

Edited by Saboo

Good idea, might try it on a reel that I have a second spool for.

Tan, also a raider, suggested a knot called a slim beauty.

End up going with it. It was a bit tricky to tie with both lines being braid, would be a terrific knot for a mono leader.

But with a bit of patience, and an extra hand from the missus :) got the thing tight and the extra braid on the spool nicely.

Thanks guys,

More good suggestions there. The blood knot diagram is similar to the slim beauty I used above, double overhead and 7 loops up and back the line.

Would imagine they'd both be pretty strong.

Thanks guys,

More good suggestions there. The blood knot diagram is similar to the slim beauty I used above, double overhead and 7 loops up and back the line.

Would imagine they'd both be pretty strong.

Ive properly tested hundreds of knots over the years. The blood knot is a good knot to join mono to mono but not so strong when joining braided line.

The slim beauty is for joining lines of different diameters like mono to braid. It's likely to fail using it braid to braid of the same diameter. Also any knot in braid is going to be small once it's tightened so don't worry about knot size too much.

The best knot I've found for this is the double uni knot. I've used it heaps for braid to braid joins and haven't had it fail once.

Thanks mate,

Will give it a go. Unfortunately tied the slim beauty and spooled already ... Gotta reverse it now :( haha

Seemed alright in the surf yesterday but didn't get a fish to really test it out at all.

x 2 for double uni ...... I've often cut off a 'wind knot' and just rejoined the line with a double uni & it works fine - about 4-5 turns on both sides. Used it on small lines (6lb) and bigger lines and never had a hassle

cheers

Roberta!

Slim beauty is quick and small great for wind on leader hardly effects cast distance and is strong enough to pull in 37 kg Jew on the beach

Yes, good for that where you're joining heavy mono to braid but totally useless for joining two lines of the same dimensions and composition.