Wallis lake advice (Forster)

fisherman666

Gday Raiders,

My family and I are taking a short get away to Big4 Tiona this weekend.

I'd like to get my kids onto some flathead or whiting in the lake. I am land based and would like to know if I can pump yabbies nearby and hook my target species. Walking distance is preferred but I have the car if need be. Also have surf gear as well if there are salmon around at the moment. Thanks

Tiona Campground fronts both the surf on one side and the lake across the road. You will be able to pump yabbies on the lake side & should also get whiting and flatties there (and spotlight for prawns at night!) Just wander around a lot - it is VERY shallow, so you can walk out probably 2-300m!! Watch out for the odd 'pot hole' tho (the darker water .....) as it is easy to step into one & fall over!

The nippers will work in the surf as well for bream, whiting and flattie - even blackfish & jew!!

cheers

Roberta

I find it is easier to pump with just a tiny bit of water over them - plus you can also see the 'working ones' as there are puffs of sand coming out of the holes shows that they are excavating that hole! ;) They are GUARANTEED to have nippers in them! ;)

In the surf, you'd just need to cast them gently into the wash immediately behind the 'beaching wave' - as the whiting are usually in there sucking up any bits that have been dislodged. A gentle cast, so they don't get ripped off the hook!

Good luck

Roberta

Didn't end up fishing all that much due to just spending time as family. Managed a very short session on the beach using pipi for bait. Got a bite then had the kids wanting to go to the pool so I cut it away. I'm sure the fish were there though. Maybe a flathead perhaps. I have young kids who I'm still working on ;)